1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rye flour
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (from 1 orange)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Butter or Vegetable Oil for the skillet
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a measuring cup or small bowl, measure out the milk. Add the fresh orange juice, egg and melted butter and beat until thoroughly combined.
3. All at once, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter should have some small to medium lumps.
4. Preheat your skillet over medium heat and brush with 1/2 tablespoons of butter or a teaspoon of oil. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop the batter onto the warm skillet. add 6 to 7 chocolate chips to each pancake, gently pressing them into the pancake. cook for 2 to 3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface, and then flip. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook on the opposite sides for about 1 minute, or until golden brown.
5. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in a preheated 200°F oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more butter or vegetable oil to the skillet when needed. serve immediately.