1 yellow onion, sliced
1 cup cubed butternut squash
1/2 cup pancetta, diced
Flour, for dusting work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
4 ounces goat cheese, softened
3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add yellow onions and pinch of salt. Cook until caramelized, about 25-30 minutes, being sure to stir regularly.
2. Meanwhile, place cubed butternut squash on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until tender with a fork.
3. Once caramelized onions are done, transfer to a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet cook pancetta for 5 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy.
4. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a rectangle. (Mine ended up being a 14-by-10-inch rectangle.) Carefully transfer puff pastry onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, lighttly "score" the pastry dough, 1-inch in from the edges. Next, using a fork, poke holes inside the markings. This will ensure that the outside trim puffs up and not the center. Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
5. Evenly spread softened goat cheese in the center of the pastry. Top with shredded cheddar, butternut squash, caramelized onions and pancetta. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. And transfer back to the oven and bake for 15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown.