Yields 1 loaf
Adapted from this muffin recipe
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
*1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice (a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice)
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1/3 of a cup of chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon of sugar (for the topping)
1 handful of sunflower seeds, unsalted
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Start by lightly greasing a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with softened butter and flour.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In another large bowl, whisk, using a stand-up mixer, pumpkin puree,
oil, eggs, *pumpkin-pie spice, 1 1/4 cups of sugar until smooth.
5. Using a spatula, fold in flour mixture until just combined, making sure to not overmix the batter.
6. Fold in walnuts and sprinkle a handful of sunflower seeds on top.
7. Add the batter to the greased/floured loaf pan.
8. Transfer to oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then invert. You can serve warm or room temperature.
*If you don’t have pumpkin-pie spice you can simply add 1/8 of
nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice. And then 1/4 of a teaspoon of