1 quart peanut oil (or a 50/50 peanut and vegetable oil blend)
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
4 cooked slices of thick cut bacon, chopped
Preheat oil to 365°F.
1. Whisk together the shortening, sugar and egg yolk until well combined.
2. In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the yolk mixture until a dough has just formed.
3. Turn the dough onto a clean surface and knead until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Lightly flour the surface and roll dough until ½ inch thick.
4. Use a 3-inch doughnut cutter, cut out doughnuts. Re-roll the scraps to make more doughnuts. I ended up with about 11 doughnuts and 11 doughnut holes.
5. Carefully drop 3 to 4 doughnuts at a time into the oil and fry for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, flipping the doughnuts after a minute.
6. Drain on paper towels and repeat until all the doughnuts have been made.
7. In a small bowl, mix together glaze ingredients until smooth and creamy. To make the doughnuts, dip the doughnuts into the glaze and top with a few chopped pieces of bacon. Repeat until all of the doughnuts and doughnut holes are covered in glaze and bacon.