1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn flour
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tablespoons
1 large egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 medium carrot, shredded (about 4 tablespoons)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, corn flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a measuring cup, or small bowl, measure out buttermilk. Add egg and melted butter; beat until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter should have some small to medium lumps. Gently fold in shredded carrot.
4. Heat up your griddle (or cast iron skillet) over medium heat and brush with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Scoop the batter, using a tablespoon measure or a 1/4 cup measure, on to the warm skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, and then flip. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook on opposite side for about 1 minute, or until golden brown.
5. Transfer cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Proceed with the rest of the batter until you're done.