Charleston Bed And Breakfast Historic District - Excalibur Hotel Pool
Charleston Bed And Breakfast Historic District
- (Historic Districts) Used only when referring to a neighborhood or region designated by national, state, or local officials as a historic district.
- A historic district in the United States is a group of buildings, properties or sites that have been designated by one of several entities on different levels as historically or architecturally significant.
- (Historic Districts) are geographically defined areas, which create a special sense of time and place through buildings, structures and open spaces modified by human use and, which are united by past events and use, and/or aesthetically by architecture and plan.
- dance the Charleston
- a port city in southeastern South Carolina
- A lively dance of the 1920s that involved turning the knees inward and kicking out the lower legs
- state capital of West Virginia in the central part of the state on the Kanawha river
- the first meal of the day (usually in the morning)
- Have this meal
- provide breakfast for
- eat an early morning meal; "We breakfast at seven"
- A piece of furniture for sleep or rest, typically a framework with a mattress and coverings
- furnish with a bed; "The inn keeper could bed all the new arrivals"
- The time for sleeping
- a plot of ground in which plants are growing; "the gardener planted a bed of roses"
- A place or article used by a person or animal for sleep or rest
- a piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep; "he sat on the edge of the bed"; "the room had only a bed and chair"
charleston bed and breakfast historic district - Galveston's Historic
Galveston's Historic Downtown and Strand District (Images of America) (Images of America (Arcadia Publishing))
The Strand, known as the Wall Street of the Southwest, contains a significant collection of 19th-century buildings. Long the center of Galveston's business community, its architecture is a reminder of this historic port city. The National Historic Landmark District includes buildings classified as Greek Revival, Italianate, and Victorian style--sometimes with traces of vernacular building traditions that date to the 1850s. Historic images found within this book illustrate the development of the Strand and surrounding streets, including Mechanic, Market, and Postoffice. Galveston's Historic Downtown and Strand District demonstrates the power of place, despite an ever-changing economy and natural disasters.
Stone Street Historic District
Stone Street, Stone Street Historic District, Financial District, Manhattan The Stone Street Historic District, consisting of some fifteen buildings and dating in large part from the late 1830s, is characterized by a rare surviving cluster of early nineteenth-century commercial structures, complemented by several picturesque early twentieth-century buildings designed by prominent architects. The low-scaled buildings form an enclave distinct from the surrounding twentieth-century skyscrapers of the Financial District, and are sited on narrow winding streets originally laid out by the Dutch colonists. All of the narrow streets encompassed within or defining the proposed historic district - including Pearl, South William, and Stone streets, Hanover Square, Coenties Alley, and Mill Lane - are part of the designated Street Plan of New Amsterdam and Colonial New York and reinforce the district's special sense of place. The area of the district had a significant mercantile and residential history in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in association with the Dutch, English, and Jewish communities. Following the Great Fire of 1835, which leveled the greater part of lower Manhattan south of Wall Street, this neighborhood was rebuilt with store and loft buildings then primarily occupied by dry goods merchants and importers. Remarkably, a group of those four- and five-story structures, which extend through the block, survive in the district. They retain their austere Greek Revival shop fronts of granite piers supporting continuous granite lintels; their simple upper facades of brick, crowned by restrained cornices, have rectilinear openings with stone lintels and sills. The Stone Street Historic District forms only one of three significant surviving enclaves (along with South Street Seaport and the Fraunces Tavern Block Historic Districts) of these Greek Revival store and loft buildings in lower Manhattan. Anchoring the district at its northeast end is the brownstone-faced Anglo-ltalianate India House, a designated New York City Landmark. Built in 1851-54 for the Hanover Bank, an institution historically tied to the adjacent commercial district, it was later significant as the first major home of the New York Cotton Exchange (1872-85). It is one of the few banking house buildings to survive from that era. During the early twentieth century, with the area desirable for office use, real estate operator Amos F. Eno, also a noted collector of early views of New York, sparked the picturesque transformation of South William Street by commissioning from architect C.P.H. Gilben the fanciful reconstruction of two buildings in the then-fashionable and historically evocative nee-Dutch Renaissance style. No. 13 South William Street was built in 1903 and No. 15 South William Street dates from 1905..()9. Handsome details include the signature Dutch stepped gables, fenestration with keyed surrounds, and distinctive metalwork. Contemporary with these two buildings is No. 17 South William Street, built in 1905-06 and designed by Edward L. Tilton in the nee-Renaissance style. As marine insurance underwriters invested in the neighborhood, several other projects followed, including a small nee-Gothic office building (9-11 South William Street, 1924-29) and a nee-Tudor athletic club (21-23 South William Street, 1927-28). Both were designed by William Neil Smith and feature leaded-glass windows and prominent slate-covered mansard roofs. These early twentieth century buildings survive largely intact, complementing and enhancing this distinct section of the city. An event of enormous consequence struck lower Manhattan in December 1835. Recorded as an "unparalleled Calamity" by former mayor Philip Hone,9 a conflagration, which spread from Merchant Street southward through the historic district to Coenties Slip, destroyed nearly one half of the First Ward, about 700 commercial buildings of four and five stories. The increasing commercialization of lower Manhattan, combined with the impact of the Great Fire, is displayed in the sharp rise in the number of new buildings between 1834 and 1836.10 The First Ward had 43 new buildings in 1834, about 100 in 1835, and over 600 in 1836. Of the new structures erected in 1834, the majority were two- and three-story brick dwellings, while following the fire a large proportion were four- and five-story brick "stores." After the fire, owners built or (in a few cases) rebuilt commercial buildings they called "warehouses" or "stores," defined by the Commercial Advertiser (December 1835) as "buildings constructed or used principally for purposes of receiving, selling or storing goods, wares or merchandise therein." Today the phrase "store and loft buildings" is used to identify these commercial structures. In those days such buildings housed "countinghouses" or businesses which would by the mid-nineteenth century be called "
Stone Street Historic District
Stone Street, Stone Street Historic District, Financial District, Manhattan On the southern half of this site, landowner Wessel Evertsen built a house (c. 1660) for Asser Levy, a Jewish butcher and moneylender who successfully fought for permission from the town "to keep guard with other burghers" despite the disinclination of his fellow townsmen to serve with Jews. Levy retained the property for ten years, then conveyed the house and lot to Jan Herberding (a/k/a John Harpendingh), who later leased land on the west side of today's South William Street to Congregation Shearith Israel for its synagogue. At the northeast corner of the site Jacob Haey (a/k/a Jacob Heij, d. 1658), who had been a prosperous trader in Curasao and Santa Cruz, erected a comfortable house (c. 1648). Haey also owned a large plantation, in what is now Greenpoint, Brooklyn, which was cultivated by African slaves. His widow, whose second husband was shipmaster David Jochemszen (a/k/a Jochems), continued to live in the Stone Street house until at least 1686. The lane adjacent to this property was very narrow, and remained so for a century; in 1754 residents petitioned to widen it, as it was the "only passage thro Mill Street Commonly Called the Jews Ally [...] to Duke Street." The Haey/Jochems house and its garden were then sacrificed for the widening of the lane; however, documents indicate that the site of 59-61 Stone Street soon again contained two structures. The southern half of the site (No. 59 Stone Street) was associated with Gershom Mendes Seixas (1746-1816), the rabbi of Congregation Shearith Israel, chief spokesman for American Jewry, and Revolutionary patriot. Seixas was among the city's first philanthropists and for many years was a regent and trustee of Columbia University. Meanwhile the northern half of the site (No. 61 Stone Street) was owned by Matthew Clarkson, probably the army officer and philanthropist (1758-1825) who participated in many important Revolutionary War battles, was elected to state-wide offices, and served as president of the Bank of New York for the two decades prior to his death; and Jotham Post, Jr. (1771-1817), a physician and drug importer who held political office at the state and national levels. Just before the 1835 fire, No. 59 Stone Street was the home of sailmaker John Co!e and was owned by merchant Edwin Lord. By 1836 that building had been replaced by a brick store and loft building with a granite base; at first it was occupied by the firm of E. & C.G. Fehr. Later tenants included Zollikoffer & Wetter, importers; and Ralli & Company, commission merchants. No. 59 was owned for many years by importer Christian H. Sand and later owned and occupied by merchants Alexander M. and George P. Lawrence. Immediately prior to the Great Fire, No. 61 was also owned by Edwin Lord and was run as a boardinghouse by Catharine Allien, a widow. By 1836 that building was replaced by a brick store and loft structure which was occupied by importer Christian H. Sand and soon thereafter by other importers, including the German importing firm of Frederick Vietor and Thomas Achelis. Long-term owners of No. 61 included Amos R. Eno (1810-98), partner in one of the city's leading wholesale drygoods firms and later an important real estate investor who built the famous Fifth Avenue Hotel (see introductory essay); Francis Vose, whose firm Vose, Perkins & Company occupied the building; and the members of the prominent Cutting family. During the 1920s, insurance executive William H. McGee, through his Eleven South William Street Company, employed architect William Neil Smith to remodel the site for McGee's marine insurance firm, founded in 1883. In 1924-25 [Demo 326-1924; Alt 2562-1924] Smith raised the building on the southern portion of the site from five to seven stories. In 1928-29 [Demo 319-1928; Alt 1973-1928], he demolished the five-story structure on the northern half of the lot and replaced it with a six-and-one-half-story building fronted in limestone and surmounted by a slate-covered mansard roof. By 1929, the building was reoriented toward South William Street and Mill Lane, and largely unified on the exterior by its neo-Gothic cladding and mansard roof. The enlarged structure accommodated 345 workers of William H. McGee & Company, marine insurance underwriters. Smith was concurrently building a private club at 21-23 South William Street for an affiliate of the McGee firm. At mid-century Lehman Brothers occupied the building (then known as 9 South William) as an annex to its larger building across Mill Lane (outside the boundaries of this district). Originating as a mercantile trade and commodities firm before the Civil War, Lehman Brothers established a base in New York in 1868 and soon shifted to investment banking. The only such firm to survive the Great Depression with its prestige intact, it financed many successful businesses such as Hollywood studi
charleston bed and breakfast historic district
The worst thing in politics is to be right and to lose. This how-to guide will give citizens who are fighting to designate a local historic district the political know-how to win the support of fellow residents and city hall. Everything is here: learning to think politically, mastering the political process; planning and strategy; campaign organizing and leadership; framing a practical vision; anticipating and handling the opposition; conducting community meetings; skirmishing with property rightists; managing issues, petitions, and public opinion; dealing with public officials; strategizing for public hearings; and winning the vote for district designation. The Politics of Historic Districts is an indispensable resource whose practical, hands-on lessons are informed by extensive research and the author's own experiences in winning a district designation, chairing a historic preservation commission, and teaching political science. By showing how and why communities make political decisions to designate historic districts, Bill Schmickle encourages preservationists to ignore the traditional tensions between preservation and political action and points the way to a fuller understanding of the politics that shape local historic districts.