ACCOMMODATION WHOLESALERS - WHOLESALERS

ACCOMMODATION WHOLESALERS - PELICAN MOTEL MYRTLE BEACH.

Accommodation Wholesalers


accommodation wholesalers
    accommodation
  • adjustment: making or becoming suitable; adjusting to circumstances
  • in the theories of Jean Piaget: the modification of internal representations in order to accommodate a changing knowledge of reality
  • Lodging; room and board
  • A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay
  • The available space for occupants in a building, vehicle, or vessel
  • a settlement of differences; "they reached an accommodation with Japan"
    wholesalers
  • (wholesale) sell in large quantities
  • (wholesale) sweeping: ignoring distinctions; "sweeping generalizations"; "wholesale destruction"
  • at a wholesale price; "I can sell it to you wholesale"

1891 menu for banquet at Floyd's Restaurant, Memphis, Tenn.
1891 menu for banquet at Floyd's Restaurant, Memphis, Tenn.
In Honor of Mr. J. S. Menken, prior to his departure for Europe. Wednesday, May 13th, 1891 Jacob Stanwood Menken was the founder of the large Memphis dry goods wholesaler/department store Menken Brothers (a.k.a. Menken & Bros., Menken & Co., J.S. Menken Co., etc.) MENU Pains de Caviar, a la Russe Consomme, en Tasse drink: Amontillado Tomates - Concombres - Olives Pompano Grilles, a la Maitre d'Hotel Pommes, de Terre Parisianne drink: Haut Sauternes Ris de Veau, Glaces aux Petit Pois Pommes de Terre Croquettes drink: Pontet Canet Filet de Boeuf, Pique, aux Champignons Asperges, en Branch - Chouflour, a la Creme drink: Pommery Sec Punch, au Kirsch Poulets Grilles, au Cresson Salad, de Laitue drink: Mumm's Extra Dry Fruits - Nuts - Raisins Gateaux Assortis - TuttiFrutti Glace Fromage Roquefort Cafe Noir FLOYD'S, Memphis, Tenn. Here's a section on J.S. Menken from the 1887 Biographical Sketches Shelby County: "J. S. Menken. In 1862 J. S. Menken established the foundation of the present mammoth dry goods establishment of Menken & Co., situated at 371 and 379 Main St. In 1863 Messrs. Jules A. and N. D. Menken were admitted, and in 1878 Messrs. William and J. S. Andrews, all having been previously connected with the house, filling clerkships. In 1883 the present company purchased the building at the corner of Main and Gayoso Streets and a palatial five-story building was erected, having a Main Street front of 117 feet, and extending 150 feet on Gayoso Street. The entire Main Street front is of fine, heavy plate glass. The business is divided into thirty different departments, the lower floor being devoted to dry goods, clothing, gents' furnishing goods, queens and glass wares, boots, shoes, etc. ; the second floor to cloaks, shawls, millinery, carpets, oil cloths, etc. The business and private offices of the firm are also on this floor, and a ladies' parlor, handsomely fitted up for the accommodation of customers. The third and fourth floors are devoted to the wholesale dry goods and retail toy department. The fifth floor is used as a millinery and dress manufacturing department. There is also a basement or cellar under the whole structure, used as a storage and packing room. Two splendid hydraulic elevators convey patrons from floor to floor. The firm at present consists of J. S. Menken, William Horgan and J. S. Andrews, and gives employment to about 325 assistants, both male and female, being the first house in Memphis to employ salesladies. J. S. Menken is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born in 1840, and at the commencement of the war was engaged in the general mercantile business with his father. He then enlisted in the Twenty-seventh Ohio Infantry, but was soon after placed on the staff of Gen. Sturges, where he remained till the date of his connection with the business interests of Memphis. He has visited Europe frequently, traveling with a different spirit from most Americans. He does not rush through as if he had an irksome task to perform; but with that cosmopolitan breadth of vision that comes from looking without ones self, he goes among the people, dances with the French, drinks beer with the Germans, sings with the Italians, and dines on plum pudding in England. In 1866 he married Miss Hart, of New York, the daughter of a wealthy merchant who had retired from business. Since, as before, he is the active spirit—ever on the move, from New York to Memphis, back again, then off to Paris, always ready, never tired. Of a cheerful, happy and impulsive disposition, gloom and melancholy vanish at his approach. He is a member of the Merchants Exchange, the F. & A. M., and the K. of H."
The site of Kawasaki Juku's Toiyaba on the Old Tokaido
The site of Kawasaki Juku's Toiyaba on the Old Tokaido
Now a (branch of a previously bankrupted due to greed) English School and (previously American, now Japanese owned) Convenience Store. The Japanese explanation on the combined Route Marker/Historical Marker reads: ????????•????????? ??? ????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????? An only1tanuki translation: "Kawasaki History Guide • Tokaido and Daishi Route Toiyaba Toiyaba supervised Post Station affairs such as horses, coolies, express mail couriers and overnight accommodations at Honjin. In Kawasaki Juku, there were around 30 officials working night and day to perform the many pressing tasks required." Notes: • Toiyaba (???) was the name used outside of Edo. Inside of Edo, they were called Ton'yaba. • Ton'ya/Toiya (??) is still a term used in modern Japan, meaning a Wholesaler **Please note that the translation is mine. Any suggestions on how to improve it are appreciated.**

accommodation wholesalers