ACCOMMODATION WELLINGTON CITY. ACCOMMODATION WELLINGTON

ACCOMMODATION WELLINGTON CITY. LA QUINTA INN SEATTLE AIRPORT. HOTELS NEAR DOWNTOWN

Accommodation Wellington City


accommodation wellington city
    wellington city
  • Wellington City Council is a territorial authority in the Wellington region of New Zealand. Wellington city extends as far north as Linden, and includes the rural areas of Makara and Ohariu. It is New Zealand's sixth-largest city, behind the Auckland cities and Christchurch.
  • Wellington United AFC is an association football club in Wellington, New Zealand competing in the Central Premier League.
    accommodation
  • A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay
  • Lodging; room and board
  • The available space for occupants in a building, vehicle, or vessel
  • adjustment: making or becoming suitable; adjusting to circumstances
  • a settlement of differences; "they reached an accommodation with Japan"
  • in the theories of Jean Piaget: the modification of internal representations in order to accommodate a changing knowledge of reality
accommodation wellington city - New Zealand
New Zealand - The Great Walks, 2nd: includes Auckland & Wellington city guides (New Zealand the Great Walks: Includes Auckland & Wellington)
New Zealand - The Great Walks, 2nd: includes Auckland & Wellington city guides (New Zealand the Great Walks: Includes Auckland & Wellington)
New Zealand is a wilderness paradise of incredibly beautiful landscapes. From its turquoise waters and sandy beaches, fern-clad hillsides give way to lush forests, deep gorges, alpine lakes and snow-capped peaks. Outstanding scenery, a rich heritage and extensive outdoor activities combine to make New Zealand one of the world’s most exciting hiking destinations.

New Zealand is criss-crossed by tracks, of which nine have been designated Great Walks by the Department of Conservation. These are the country's premier hiking trails and each route takes about 3-5 days to walk. Internationally renowned, they give a good feel for the range of experiences available in the New Zealand backcountry. Meticulously waymarked and maintained, the Great Walks provide outstanding tramping opportunities for people of all levels of fitness and proficiency. In New Zealand, hiking is known as tramping.

This updated second edition includes:


76% (5)
Dinesh Kumara, Trincomalee beach, Sri Lanka
Dinesh Kumara, Trincomalee beach, Sri Lanka
Trincomalee (Tamil: Tiruko?amalai, Sinhala: Triku?amalaya) is a port city in Eastern Province, Sri Lanka and lies on the east coast of the island, about 113 miles south of Jaffna. It has a population of approximately 100,000 (2007). The city is built on a peninsula, which divides the inner and outer harbours. Overlooking the Kottiyar Bay, Trincomalee is one of the main centers of Tamil speaking culture on the island. The city is home to the famous ancient Koneswaram temple alluded to in its historic Tamil name Thirukonamalai from which its anglicized name is derived, and has been a sea port that has played a major role in the maritime and international trading history of Sri Lanka. It is referred to as Gokanna in Pali or Gokarna in Sanskrit. The Bay of Trincomalee's harbour is renowned for its large size and security; unlike every other in the Indian Sea, it is accessible to all types of craft in all weathers. The beaches are used for surfing, scuba diving, fishing and whale watching. The city also has the largest Dutch fort in Sri Lanka. It is home to major Sri Lankan naval bases and a Sri Lankan Air Force base. Trincomalee, is an anglicized form of the Tamil word "Tiru-kona-malai", meaning "Lord of the Sacred Hill"; a reference to the town's ancient Koneswaram temple. Thiru comes from the Tamil for "sacred", Kona means "Lord" or "Chief" in the language while Malai in Tamil means mountain or hill. Another meaning for the word Kona in Tamil is peak, and other definitions for Tirukonamalai include "sacred angular/peaked hill" or "three peaked hill". The town is situated on a hill at the end of a natural land formation that resembles an arc; the temple itself is built on Swami Rock, historically referred to as Kona-ma-malai, a cliff on the peninsula that drops 400 feet (120 metres) directly into the sea. Sanskrit texts, as well as an inscription unearthed by archeologists, call it Gokanna. The Vayu Purana refers to a Siva temple on Trikuta hill on the eastern coast of Lanka in the 3rd century. The Mahavamsa documents that the King Mahasena destroyed a Deva temple and built a Buddhist shrine in its stead to expiate for an earlier heresy on his part. Tamil texts, as well as excavated inscriptions detail the Saivite principalities that formed in Trincomalee in service of the Koneswaram temple by the medieval age. The South Indian Tamil literature Tevaram of Tiru-gnana Sambandar makes mention to the Siva temple in Trincomalee in the 6th century. Koneswaram and the royal administration of the city is documented in several late medieval texts such as the Konesar Kalvettu[12] and the Dakshina Kailasa Puranam. History Trincomalee which is a natural deep-water harbour that has attracted seafarers like Marco Polo, Ptolemy and Sea Traders from China and East Asia since ancient times. Trinco, as it is commonly called, has been a sea port since the days of the ancient Sri Lankan Kings. The earliest known reference to the port of Gokanna is found in the Mahavamsa stating that in 5th century BC, when King Vijaya who having failed to convince his brother to come to Sri Lanka as his successor, got down his youngest son Panduvasdeva, who landed at Gokanna and was subsequently enthroned at Upatissagama. Trincomalee was used by Chola king Ilankesvarar Tevar as his eastern port in the 11th century and prospered under the Vannimai chieftancies of the Jaffna kingdom. It was often visited by Kings Singai Pararasasegaram and his successor King Cankili I. King Jeyaveera Cinkaiariyan (1380-1410 CE) had the traditional history of the Koneswaram temple compiled as a chronicle in verse, entitled Dakshina Kailasa Puranam, known today as the Sthala Puranam of Koneshwaram Temple. King Parakramabahu I used Gokanna (Trincomalee) as his eastern port, to launch a successful invasion of Burma in the 12th Century. By the late 16th century, Jaffna had given minimal logistical access to its Trincomalee and Batticaloa seaports to Kandy to secure military advantages against its enemies; this was utilized by their influential European overlords to consolidate power in the region. In 1612, D. Hieronymo de Azevedo, after great difficulties due to torrential rains arrived at Trincomalee with a Portuguese contingent from Kandy. Here de Azevedo "was keen on building a fort" to the scope he called in aid from King Ethirimana Cinkam of Jaffna, but not seeing him arrive he abandoned the enterprise and he marched towards Jaffna. The Danish arrived in Trincomalee to the end of 1619 with a first ship, called "Oresund" under the command of Roelant Crape, this small expedition, was the vanguard of another Danish fleet, this one composed by four vessels and three hundred soldiers, commanded by Ove Giedde, that reached the island in May 1620. They wanted to try their fortune in the Asian seas; the Danish expedition occupied Koneswaram temple and it was here that the Danes began
The Old England Montpelier Bristol BS6
The Old England  Montpelier Bristol BS6
The Old England - Until 1790 the boundaries of the city of Bristol ended at Hillgrove Street so a pleasant family walk could be taken through Stoke’s fields, past the Turnpike and on to Territt’s Mills where the snuff-grinding industry was in full production. It was here, in the attractive area of Montpelier that Thomas Rennison took advantage of the natural mill-pool and created a highly popular entertainment centre of the eighteenth century. It was Montpelier in Southern France which gave its name to this once fashionable neighbourhood, as they both laid claims to being 'a place whence one can look on a beautiful prospect', which the name implied. Today, Stokes Croft is a busy main road out of the city. The Turnpike gate and house were demolished and when Tuckett’s Buildings were later erected on the site a skeleton was dug up, a grim reminder of the days when criminals were hanged at turnpikes. The peace and quiet of the countryside has been lost forever in to-day’s Montpelier but the Old England Inn is still there and on a summer day its customers can still drink in the open air much as they would have done in the flourishing days of Thomas Rennison. In 1747 Rennison, a successful threadmaker of 20 Bridge Street, rented the old snuff mill premises and in 1764 decided to purchase it, for on the site was a large pond frequented by swimmers and it was this pond which the Bristol merchant thought would make his fortune. The original pool was over four hundred feet in circumference and he advertised it as 'Rennison’s Grand Pleasure Bath and Gardens'. Soon afterwards he constructed a special bath for ladies and added a coffee house. Next came a bowling green, teagardens and the Old English Tavern itself; Thomas Rennison was indeed well launched into the entertainment business. The Old England became a favourite rendezvous not only for swimming but also for its recreational facilities, for the tavern was outside the city boundaries and was not subject to any of the civic restrictions. Week-end holiday makers flocked here to enjoy all the amenities of a country retreat but the most famous event was the annual bean-feast at which a mock mayor, sheriff and other civic dignitaries were solemnly elected and much ale was drunk by the delighted spectators. There were other more cultural activities offered, like the evening concerts advertised in June 1782, when the entrance fee of one shilling included tea or coffee. Matthews’ 1793 Directory recommends to, 'those who are fond of bathing or swimming, the spacious bath and dressing houses, pleasant gardens and good accommodation.' The actual Baths were in use, as what must have been the first public baths in the city, until 1916 when Colston’s Girls’ School acquired some of the land. The last vestiges of the baths were demolished in 1978 when the new Montpelier Health Centre was built. The links with Rennison’s pleasure gardens are kept alive by the Old England Inn, with a modest terrace to remind you of its once country setting. The inn remains externally much as it did in the eighteenth century and although there are no original fittings remaining in the interior, the old beams and general arrangements really do retain the atmosphere of the past. There are many framed pictures of Bristol scenes on the lounge walls, including some of the ‘Blitz’ which wiped out so much of Bristol’s past. A framed cutting from the Bristol Magpie of 1891 informed its readers that 'The ancient and manly game of Quoits is reviving in Bristol North, some splendid play can be seen adjoining the Old England Hotel'. Maurice Clarke has been the landlord for over twenty five years and, born in the district, he is proud of the Old England’s place in the life of the community. He doesn’t want that to change but he is full of plans for using the open space around the inn for extending the terraced area. Thomas Rennison would have approved of this as his Old England tavern could once again be the centre of a 'pleasure garden'. The once open fields behind the inn were a favourite practice ground for W.G. Grace and many Sunday afternoon strollers were treated to the sight of the grand old man of cricket hitting the bowlers for six. Children can now play happily on the swings which a thoughtful corporation has put on the small remaining portion of the fields and the spirit of Rennison is kept alive. The cricketing connection was still going strong in 1889 when an Old England advertisement in The Bristol Magpie announced 'Important to all interested in cricket Gloucestershire out-matches. The Landlord has arranged to have the result of each day’s play wired on drawing stumps.' Today the inn has no accommodation for lodgers, but in 1793 Matthews listed three occupiers of the inn; Charles Camplin, an attorney at law; Thomas Lang, a yeoman and William Watkins, a tide surveyor. They would all have enjoyed living in this quiet backwater with its beautiful views over Bristol and the coun

accommodation wellington city
accommodation wellington city
New Zealand cities :: Wellington
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.