GEORGES GRANT HOTEL - BED AND BREAKFAST LOCH LOMOND.
Georges Grant Hotel
- (george) King of Great Britain and Ireland from 1760 to 1820; the American colonies were lost during his reign; he became insane in 1811 and his son (later George IV) acted as regent until 1820 (1738-1820)
- (george) Christian martyr; patron saint of England; hero of the legend of Saint George and the Dragon in which he slew a dragon and saved a princess (?-303)
- (george) King of Great Britain and Ireland and emperor of India from 1936 to 1947; he succeeded Edward VIII (1895-1952)
- award: give as judged due or on the basis of merit; "the referee awarded a free kick to the team"; "the jury awarded a million dollars to the plaintiff";"Funds are granted to qualified researchers"
- The action of granting something
- A sum of money given by an organization, esp. a government, for a particular purpose
- A legal conveyance or formal conferment
- any monetary aid
- allow: let have; "grant permission"; "Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
georges grant hotel - Diabolique (The
Diabolique (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Before Psycho, Peeping Tom, and Repulsion, there was Diabolique. This thriller from Henri?Georges Clouzot (Le corbeau, The Wages of Fear), which shocked audiences in Europe and the U.S., is the story of two women—the fragile wife and the willful mistress of a sadistic school headmaster—who hatch a daring revenge plot. With its unprecedented narrative twists and unforgettably scary images, Diabolique is a heart-grabbing benchmark in horror filmmaking, featuring outstanding performances by Simone Signoret (Casque d’or, Army of Shadows), Vera Clouzot (The Wages of Fear), and Paul Meurisse (Le deuxieme souffle, Army of Shadows).
Legend has it that Henri-Georges Clouzot beat out Alfred Hitchcock to secure the rights to this novel, which proved to be a veritable blueprint for an icy masterpiece of murder, mystery, and suspense. Vera Clouzot plays the sickly wife of a callous headmaster of a provincial boarding school going to seed, and the commanding Simone Signoret is the headmaster's mistreated mistress. Together they plot and carry out his murder, a brutal drowning that director Clouzot documents in chilly detail, but the corpse disappears, and a nosy detective starts sniffing around the grounds as threatening notes taunt the women. Clouzot's thriller is as precise and accomplished a work as anything in Hitchcock's canon, a film of grueling suspense and startling shocks in an overcast, gray world of decay, but his icy manipulations lack the human dimension and emotional resonance of the master of suspense. The film has been accused of being misanthropic by many critics, and Clouzot's attitude toward his characters is bitter at best, contemptuous at worst. The viewer is left on the outside looking in, but the razor precision and terrifying twists deliver a sleek, bleak spectacle worthy of attention. --Sean Axmaker
Willard Hotel- Washington DC
nrhp # 74002127- The site upon which the Willard stands was originally part of the farm of David Burnes. In 1816 John Tayloe built a row of six two-story-and-attic houses as an investment . By 1818 the corner was being used as a hotel. In 1847 Benjamin Ogle Tayloe leased the establishment to Henry A. Willard and his brother, Edwin. Edwin withdrew from the management, to be replaced by his brother Joseph C.Willard in 1849. In 1853 the brothers purchased the entire row of houses from Tayloe's heirs, uniting the buildings architecturally in a major remodeling. In 1858 the Willards expanded again, purchasing the property of Col. James Kearney on the southwest corner of 14th and F Streets. They demolished the Kearney Mansion and built a six-story addition to the hotel. Next an adjoining Presbyterian Church on F Street was acquired and converted to an auditorium known as Willard Hall. In succeeding years, as business increased, the roofs of the conglomerate hotel were raised to allow for verticle expansion. Finally, at the turn of the century, the Willard underwent a massive transformation. The new Willard, designed by New York architect Henry Janeway Hardenbergh and erected by the George A. Fuller Company, was hailed at its opening as Washington's first skyscraper. Completed in 1904, the new building saw an addition of 100 rooms in 1925, broadening the F Street facade by about 49 feet. The property remained in the Willard family until 1946, closed in 1968, and underwent extensive renovation, again opening its doors in 1986. Presidents Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, Grant, Taft, Wilson, Coolidge and Harding stayed at the Willard. Other notable guests have included Charles Dickens, Buffalo Bill, David Lloyd George, P.T. Barnum, Lord and Lady Napper and countless others. Walt Whitman included the Willard in his verses and Mark Twain wrote two books there in the early 1900s. It was Vice President Thomas R. Marshall, irritated at the Willard's high prices, who there coined the phrase "What this country needs is a good 5-cent cigar."
THE MERVILLE HOTEL. EXETER RD. BOURNEMOUTH. DORSET. JUNE 1990
Cranborne Rd is to the left. Terrace Rd runs up the hill opposite. Exeter Rd continues past St Andrews Church to link up with The Square having made it's way from Pier Approach. When the Tregonwell's purchased their first eight and a half acres of unspoilt heathland on the western bank of the Bourne Stream from Sir George Tapps in 1810, they set about having what was initially their new holiday home built, along with a cottage for their butler. The house was known as The Mansion, later Exeter House, and survives as the much enlarged Royal Exeter Hotel opposite the Bournemouth International Centre [B.I.C]. The butler's cottage was originally called Symes Cottage and was later enlarged and renamed Portman Lodge. It would have stood facing Exeter Rd just out of shot on the immediate right in the above image. Lewis Tregonwell's widow Henrietta lived here until her death in 1846. In 1922 the property was severely damaged by fire and was modestly rebuilt before being demolished in 1929 to make way for the Exeter Rd bus station that itself was severely damaged by fire in 1976. [ Cue the music from the Twilight Zone ]. In the 1820s a cottage was built on the slopes of Prospect Mount, later renamed Terrace Mount, for the Tregonwell's gardener. Extensively remodelled or rebuilt it was later used by members of the Tregonwell family and survived as a residential property into the 1920s. By the 1930s it had been enlarged as the Merville Hotel, seen here on the left. The hotel was demolished in the 1990s and the site has remained vacant, although there are plans to build a hotel / flats block as part of the Terrace Mount redevelopment scheme. The Merville, along with Cheam House, on the right hand corner of Exeter Rd and Terrace Rd, were demolished in the 1990s to make way for highway alterations that were to incorporate traffic needing to use Terrace Rd due to the pedestrianisation of The Square.