LIBRARY HOTEL REVIEWS : LIBRARY HOTEL

LIBRARY HOTEL REVIEWS : BOUTIQUE HOTELS IN EUROPE.

Library Hotel Reviews


library hotel reviews
    library hotel
  • The Library Hotel is a 60-room boutique hotel in New York City, located at 299 Madison Avenue (at 41st Street), near the New York Public Library, Bryant Park, and Grand Central Terminal. The Hotel was designed by architect Stephen B. Jacobs.
    reviews
  • A critical appraisal of a book, play, movie, exhibition, etc., published in a newspaper or magazine
  • A formal assessment or examination of something with the possibility or intention of instituting change if necessary
  • (review) look at again; examine again; "let's review your situation"
  • (review) an essay or article that gives a critical evaluation (as of a book or play)
  • A periodical publication with critical articles on current events, the arts, etc
  • (review) reappraisal: a new appraisal or evaluation

Charleston, Meeting Street
Charleston, Meeting Street
Two sides of a stereograph view of Meeting Street looking north from the Mills House Hotel at the corner of Queen and Meeting Streets. Photo taken before the Great Fire of December 1861. This photo centers on Institute Hall (later called Secession Hall) where Ordinance of Secession was signed in December 1860. The South Carolina Institute Hall was developed by a group of local businessmen interested in attracting business and scientific related exhibitions to the city as part of an effort to stimulate the local economy and advance local industry. It was for all practical purposes an auditorium and exhibition hall much as other convention halls and exihibition centers are used today. The Italian Renaissance Revival style building was constructed in the 1850's in the center of the Charleston business district and fronting Meeting Street, one of the city's primary business corridors. Meeting Street, throughout its length, evolved into a wider street than most in the oldest part of the city. It followed what had originally been the western wall on the landside of the colonial seaport. The walls removal by the late 1700's gave the city an opportunity to widen the street for its entire length, including its use as a parallel entry for heavier trade and traffic into the city. By the mid 1800's Meeting Street was lined with brokerage houses, hotels and wholesale merchants. These were generally located in the golden business mile that also led to the main rail stations located just north of the city's former corporate boundary at what was by then known as Calhoun Street. The three story building in the foreground, and to the viewer's right, was typical of the many commercial and residential structures that lined much of Meeting Street from its terminus at White Point Garden to the south and northward to Line Street, a distance of nearly two miles through the heart of the city. Like the buildings near it and to the north, this relatively smaller commercial landmark was destroyed in the fire of 1861. The last and largest of the city's historic fires during the ante bellum period laid waste nearly a third of Charleston. The full size, height, density and scale of these architectural landmarks as they appeared just before the Civil War were lost to that fire. The economic collapse that followed the war prevented most attempts at restoration or replacements that would match them. Three and four story buildings like the one seen to the right framed most of the city's grand streets throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. This was true particularly in the business districts, along the wider streets and for private developments which lined the major entry roads into the city. Set backs for were largely used in suburban residential neighborhoods located to the north and west of the oldest sections of Charleston. Long standing tradition and practicallity dictated that setting both residential and commercial buildings back from the steet line was an exception on heavily traveled urban streets within the city. Set backs and open yards on the street were found only in rare cases in structures built before World War II. This was for the most part a rule of common sense, with only limited attempts to codify it, for construction within the city which continued from its founding after 1670 until well into the early 20th century when the first building codes and zoning regulations were put into practice. Exceptions to the informal rules of building placements were typically associated with monumental public buildings. Since most of these exceptions were already generally seen as architectural landmarks and monuments at the time, especially in the case of religious structures and civic institutions structures, height, scale and mass were intended to set limits unique and relative to each neighborhood. Greater limits could be set for surrounding buildings as the largest exceptions typically appeared in more dense commercial streetscapes and older neighborhoods like this one. Generally the rare setback exceptions further highlighted the fact that a majority of public and private structures still framed the street within the city's densest and busiest commercial streets. This was a major characteristic that defined those streets that most often led to the port or to the city's entry points on the overland roads like the eastern end of Broad Street, King Street and Meeting Street. In the background and to the left in this photo appears the grand public porch and spire of Circular Congregational Church. The Circular Church and its classically influenced portico were designed by Robert Mills in the 1820's. The spire was designed by a different architect and added later. All were destroyed in the Great Fire. Meeting Street extended much further, even then, since it was the wider and more practical for traffic than the congested retail district associated with King Street. Both King and Meeting complimented each other until they m
219 Park Ave.
219 Park Ave.
Ed Lamey sold sand and gravel, sewer tile and drain tile along with other building materials. It was on the northwest corner of N. Cook and Main Streets. The second floor housed the first telephone switchboard in Barrington. Lageschulte and Hager Lumber Yard is visable in the background. Photo circa 1890. Another event in 1898, a great year in our advancement, was the coming of the telephone to Barrington on a village franchise. The Chicago Telephone Company began its service here with eight subscribers. The first switchboard was in the Barrington Review office, a small frame building on North Cook Street where the Northern Light is now. In August of that same year, 1898, it was moved to the three story Commercial Hotel on East Main Street where the Strand Dress plant is now. Mr. Linus R. Lines was the proprietor, and operator of the telephone. Miles T. Lamey's Review office was phone No. 1 and Attorney Clark McIntosh was phone No. 2. Phones were on the wall and were a brown wooden case with a stationary mouth piece. To call the operator for a connection to another phone, one had to grind the bell crank on the right side of the phone box. In 1903 when Arthur C. Schroeder of Manitowoc was local manager, the switchboard was moved into premises of their sole use in the small shack which was originally Billy Hamilton's carpenter shop at the northwest corner of East Main and Ela Streets. It was close up to the sidewalks in the yard where the Cities Service Gas Station is now. Mr. George Wilburn, now retired from managerial service, was operator there. That building was moved in 1940 to 108 Grant Street. As the growing service demanded more room, they moved to their brick building across Ela Street to the northeast corner of the same intersection. That building soon had to be enlarged for rnore switchboards. In 1923 the Chicago Telephone Company became the Illinois Bell Telephone Co. In 1940 the Barrington switchboard had 1550 phones, an increase of one hundred in two years. In 1953 we had 3712 phones here. In that building they had switchboard positions for thirty-eight operators, and at the height of their service from that building they had one hundred fifteen operators listed at one time. Their business office was established at 213 Park Avenue in August, 1946, when more space away from the exchange building was necessary. Then it was moved to 113 East Main Street. In 1956 Manager Robert L. Pearson announced that Barrington was to have a large building erected at 430 East Main Street to house a new system of dial telephoning and automatic connections much faster than waiting for operators; that Barrington's exchange would be DUnkirk, calling DU 1- plus four more figures. Ground was broken by the officials in January of 1957. A brick building set on deep caissons was completed and the change-over was made on Sunday, April 20, 1958. An open house followed, which revealed to the layman the marvels of telephony. The Pacific coast was called and answered in a matter of seconds without any operator. Still there were twenty-four positions on the switchboard for some calls. On Tuesday, February 19, 1959, for instance, five thousand toll calls went through the Barrington office. The building is so constructed that there is still opportunity for greater expansion. By April, 1960, all of the eight party lines in the village had been Converted to one and two party lines. By July of that same year all four party lines in the village were changed over. An admirable record at the switchboard was that of Miss Frances Bauman, who retired after 32 years of service, 28 years of that time in the Barrington exchange and 18 years as chief operator. -Arnett C. Lines

library hotel reviews
Similar posts:
motel t shirt
hotels near wembley arena
cheapest hotels ever
the standard hotel restaurant
monopol hotel frankfurt
hotels anaheim near disneyland
bed and breakfast in madrid
hotel la tour maubourg
zeitgeist the jade motel
mallorca beach hotel
Comments