Field Based Lesson Plan
Lesson Identification & Learning Goal
Prepared by: Abby Caulkins
Name of CT: Amy Chavez
Date (lesson planned): 10/13/09
Date (To be taught): 11/11/09
Curriculum Material Sources: N/A
Unit Title: Five Senses
Lesson Title: Exploring Our Classroom Using Our Senses
Grade Level: Kindergarten
§ Science Process:
o S.IP.00.11 Make purposeful observation of the natural world using the appropriate sense (Michigan Science Grade Level Content Expectations, 2009)
§ Related Main Ideas (K-4 Science Grade Level Content Expectations Companion Document, 2009)
· The five senses include sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste.
· We use our senses to observe and better understand our surroundings such as seeing to know what the classroom around us looks like and how to maneuver in it.
· We do not use all of our senses each time we observe something because not all senses are required (or safe) to use in every situation.
§ Related Practices
· Students conduct observations of their classroom using their five senses.
· Students identify what sense(s) they used to observe particular objects.
· Students identify what sense(s) they did not use to observe and object and why.
o S.IA.00.13 Communicate and present findings of observations (Michigan Science Grade Level Content Expectations, 2009)
§ Related Main Ideas
· After we conduct an observation we need to be able to share our findings with others communicate our ideas and findings and receive feedback.
· There are many different ways we can communicate our findings such as oral presentations, charts, and books.
· We can have discussions about our findings or we can create a document that represents them.
§ Related Practices
· Students hold small and large group discussions about their findings.
· Students discuss various ways that they could share their information with others.
· Students create a document (i.e. book, chart, etc.) to share their findings.
§ Michigan Educational Technology Standards
o PK-2.CC. Communication and Collaboration - By the end of Grade 2nd each student will:
§ 1. work together when using digital tools (e.g., word processor, drawing, presentation software) to convey ideas or illustrate simple concepts relating to a specified project
§ 2. use a variety of developmentally appropriate digital tools (e.g., word processors, paint programs) to communicate ideas to classmates, families, and others
Central Question for Lesson:
What things do I observe in my classroom and what sense from my body do I use to examine them? (How do my senses help me understand my world?
Sample Wiki Page Design
Please Visit my Sample Wiki for this project: