- 2 or 3 guard (natural positions)
- Spends quite a bit of time at 1 (point guard) w/high school team
- At times plays 4, especially as a rover who can pull out taller defenders or pull in smaller ones
- Has even played 5 on rare occasions against shorter teams
- Very skilled with many facets of the game, especially scoring
- Versatility is a huge asset (outside shooting, driving, mid-range)
- Shooting the three and shooting the quick-release jump shot from all areas just beyond or within the arc
- Mid-range game with pull-up and step-back jumpers
- Knows how to handle the ball with various initiating moves from the wing
- Drives strongly, finishing off two feet and shoots the flip shot or runner with both right and left hands
- Tends to prefer driving with the left-hand even as a right hander
- Uses body well for her size when driving the lane and when rebounding in the paint
- Can post up with various moves, including a deceptive step-through counter move, when needed or when mismatched
- Can play defense at the guard and in the post
- A "heads-up" defender who isn't afraid to bump her person or when helping out on the opponent's drives
- High basketball IQ which is used to outsmart opponents
- Sees the floor well and will make the pass to the high percentage shot
- Works diligently on all aspects of the game
- Is very coachable
Favorite WNBA Player: Sue Bird
Favorite WBNA Team: Seattle Storm
Abbie with Sue Bird!!!
© 2013 abbiehein.com All rights reserved.
University of Maryland - Baltimore County (UMBC)
Career Ambition: Journalism/Communication (possibly coaching minor)
High School: 2013 Graduate
Immanuel Lutheran H.S.
- Eau Claire, WI
K-4th: Redemption Lutheran School
- Lynnwood, WA
5th-8th: Grace Lutheran School
- Fridley, MN
Weight: 142 lb.
Other Sports: Volleyball, fastpitch softball
Other Interests: church, music, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano, singing, calligraphy, reading, hanging out with friends
High School School Extra-Curricular Activities:
Other Interesting Trivia:
Parents: John & Janelle Hein
Family: 2nd of 6 children
Siblings: Christina, Emily, David, Julianna, Daniel
Current Residence of Parents: Fridley, MN
Has previously lived in Eau Claire, WI; Red Wing, MN; Sioux Falls, SD; and Lynnwood, WA.
John is Pastor at Grace Lutheran Church
in Fridley, MN
John serves on Immanuel Lutheran
's Board of Regents
John serves as the statistician for Immanuel girls basketball
John coached for Spring Lake Park Traveling Basketball
John was V. Pres. for Spring Lake Park Traveling Basketball
Janelle teaches at Grace Lutheran School
in Fridley, MN
Janelle does the daunting task of managing a household of 8
John's Email: email@example.com
Janelle's Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletic Family Connections
- Dad's 2nd cousin, Rick DeMulling,
played offensive guard in the NFL for the Indianapolis Colts (2001-04),
the Detroit Lions (2005-06), and the Washington Redskins (2007). He
played at the University of Idaho as a college football player (1997-98) where he was awarded 4x all-Big West Conference.
- Uncle (dad's brother), Mark Hein, coaches the Lake Stevens High School boy's team in Lake Stevens, WA, and has led his team to state two years in a row (2009 and 2010). He was instrumental in getting runner-up at the 1986 Washington State B basketball championship at Reardan High School. He played college basketball for Pacific Lutheran University, also serving as a student-coach.
- Uncle (mom's brother), Joel Fleischer, played college basketball at Immanuel Lutheran College as a 6'10" center.
- Mom's cousin, Missy Fleischer, previously held the girl's basketball scoring record at Eau Claire Immanuel Lutheran (1986-90) with 1,081 points.
- Mom's cousin, Mark Fleischer, is in the North Dakota Sports Hall of
Fame, having played college baseball at Jamestown College (1982-85)
- Grandfather (mom's dad), Daniel Fleischer, played college baseball (outfield) at Northwestern College in Watertown, WI (1958-1960)
- Grandfather's brother, Paul Fleischer, played college football (starting quarterback), basketball (starting guard), and baseball (pitcher) for Northwestern College in Watertown, WI (1958-1960). As quarterback he led Northwestern to a conference championship in 1959
- Dad was top singles player on high school tennis team
- Mom played volleyball, basketball, and softball in high school. She played on the first varsity basketball team at Immanuel.