Don't be deterred, this actually doesn't taste all that much like pumpkin, but has great texture and body. The leftovers are wonderful!
Adapted from The Kitchn.
- Cut 5 tortillas into small squares, about 1/4 - 1/2 inches. Don't worry about them being uniform, they will provide a great base for the soup.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan and add onions, garlic, cilantro and chopped tortillas. Stir unitl onions are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add cumin and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes
- Add pumpkin, vegetable stock and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, and simmer for one hour.
- While simmering: cut remaining tortillas into thin strips and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, shaking halfway through. They should get crispy, but make sure they don't burn.
- Top off soup with strips, avocado, and anything else that you want to throw in there!