Breast Pump Hire
What are the hire charges?
ABA members hire at half price. If you are not already a member, you can join ABA at the time of hiring to take advantage of the member discount.
Breast pumps are available to mothers for short or long term hire to enable them to express their milk for their baby. For hygiene reasons each mother needs her own new personal milk collection kit to use with the hired pump. The milk collection kit is those parts that come in contact with breastmilk, such as the breast shield (funnel) and collection bottle.
The cost of these kits will vary depending upon the type of pump being hired. Kits can usually be purchased from ABA at the time of hire if needed (or you may use your own kit if you already own one).
The hiring rate for pumps varies according to the type of pump hired. A refundable deposit is also required (this will vary depending on the type of pump being hired).
What happens when I hire a pump from ABA?
If you hire through your ABA local group, you will usually arrange to collect the pump from the local breast pump hiring officer’s house. You can also hire pumps through the Breastfeeding Centre in Dandenong during office hours.
Hire will include a bit of paperwork, a chat to make sure the pump is right for you, and a demonstration of assembly and operation.
For how long can I hire a pump?
For as long as you need it. You can extend your period of hire and make additional payments as necessary.
How do I know the pumps are safe?
All our pumps for hire are regularly tested and tagged, and serviced according to State and Territory regulations.
Why hire your electric breast pump from ABA?
All the most popular brands of electric breast pumps can be hired from our trained volunteers who provide the service across Melbourne and in most regional centres. It is reassuring to know that these pumps - which are the same as those used in all hospitals - will be demonstrated to you with full instruction on their use and ongoing support for as long as you need it.
This personal service is unique to the Australian Breastfeeding Association and available only when you hire directly from the association.
Demonstration of equipment set-up
- Suggestions for effective expressing
- Information about cleaning & disinfection of equipment
- Recommendations for storage & handling of breastmilk
- Follow-up assistance, as required
The Australian Breastfeeding Association is a not-for-profit organisation. Income from our breast pump hire service is directly returned to the community through the breastfeeding support and community services we provide.
There are two options for hiring pumps, depending on where you live and which pump your require:
- Local ABA Groups: Whether you live in Melbourne or regional Victoria, the Australian Breastfeeding Association local groups are not far away, providing reliable service right in your community. When you hire from our local groups, you directly support their work in the local community. Find your closest breastpump hire officer here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/view/hire-breast-pump
- Our Breastfeeding Centre in Dandenong offers breast pump hire, as well as other breastfeeding support services. See our office hours