I am a PhD student at Boston University advised by Prof. Sharon Goldberg. My research interests are network security and cryptography. I use tools from cryptography and the insights gained from network measurement and simulations to improve security and reliability of the core Internet protocols like NTP, DNS, TLS, BGP, etc.
I was a Cryptography engineer at Cloudflare's cryptography team from January-April, 2019. My role was to lead the team to design a new more robust internal NTP architecture and (D)DoS prevention ecosystem to offer time service to external clients and implement secure NTP server-Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) based cryptographically secure Network Time Security (NTS) proposal at IETF.
I was a research fellow at Nlnet labs, Amsterdam, the Netherlands from July-Sept, 2017. I analyzed the impact of security vulnerabilities in network time on other protocols such as DNS and DNSSec. We have implemented our recommendations as part of the popular Unbound open source caching DNS resolver. The project is funded by SIDN Fonds, Netherlands.
I was a research intern at the Information Security group at Akamai Technologies, Cambridge. My work here involved "Security Evaluation of Akamai's NTP infrastructure" with Brian Sniffen and Daniel Franke.
I was a visiting research fellow at Cisco Systems, Knoxville working on a short-term project titled: "Tactical Evaluation of the Network Time Protocol" for the month of September, 2015.
I participated in the Hebrew University Networking Summer at Hebrew University, Israel from June 1- June 20, 2015.
You can find my CV here.
The Impact of Time on DNS Security.
Aanchal Malhotra, Willem Toorop, Benno Overreinder, Ralph Dolmons, Sharon Goldberg
Manuscript in Submission.
Ran Canetti, Kyle Hogan, Aanchal Malhotra, Mayank Varia
In the proceedings of Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF), 2017 IEEE 30th, 360-375.
Aanchal Malhotra, Matthew V. Gundy, Mayank Varia, Haydn Kennedy, Jonathan Gardner, Sharon Goldberg
In the proceedings of 21st International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security (FC), Malta. 405-423, February 2017. news
Aanchal Malhotra, Sharon Goldberg
ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, April 2016 issue.
Aanchal Malhotra, Isaac E. Cohen, Erik Brakke, Sharon Goldberg
In the proceedings of Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), San Diego, California. 21-24 February, 2016. paper project page news slides
S. Sree Vivek, S. Sharmila Deva Selvi, Aanchal Malhotra, C. Pandu Rangan
In the Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Security and Cryptography, 251-258, 2015, Colmar, Alsace, France.
Aanchal Malhotra, Sharon Goldberg
RFCs & IETF Drafts
- Message Authentication Codes for the Network time Protocol. RFC 8573
- Roughtime. draft-roughtime-aanchal-02
- On Implementing Time. draft-aanchal-time-implementation-guidance-00
- NTP Interleaved Modes. draft-ietf-ntp-interleaved-modes-02
- NTP Client Data Minimization. draft-dfranke-data-minimization-04
Full List of Publications here
- Cornell University (November 2018)
- Princeton University Security Seminar (November 2018)
- CSAIL-MIT Security Seminar (November 2017)
- University of Connecticut Security Seminar (November 2016)
- New England Networking and Systems Day (NENS) (October 2016)
- Northeastern University Security Seminar (May 2016)
- Stony Brook University (April 2016)
- CSAIL-MIT Security Seminar (March 2016)
- Charles River Crypto Day- MIT (Oct 2015)
111 Cummington Mall, MCS 135A
Boston, MA 02215.
Email: aanchal4 at bu dot edu