Bernard J. "Bud" Dicks, Jr., USMC, 2nd Marine Div., Battle of Tinian, Okinawa

Bernard J. " Bud" Dicks, Jr., USMC, Bazookaman, 2nd Marine Division, 8th Marines, Battle of Tinian and Okinawa. 
An extended Veterans Oral History Project video interview with Bud was recorded by Kevin Callahan and Jodi Magnuson on March 1, 2014.

Bud Dicks was there and saw it when Lt. General Simon Buckner was killed on Okinawa.
Below is the last photo of the General just before he was hit. (Source USMC, Nat Archives, Wikipedia)

From Wikipedia
 "Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. (July 18, 1886 – June 18, 1945) was an American lieutenant general during World War II. He served in the Pacific Theater of Operations and commanded the defences of Alaska early in the war. Following that assignment, he was promoted to command the 10th Army, which conducted the amphibious assault (Operation Iceberg) on the Japanese island of Okinawa. He was killed during the closing days of the Battle of Okinawa by enemy artillery fire, making him the highest-ranking U.S. military officer to have been lost to enemy fire during World War II, and one of two US Army Lieutenant Generals who died in a combat zone, the other being Lieutenant General Leslie J McNair. . . According to an eyewitness account,[5]on June 18, 1945, Buckner had arrived in his command jeep which was flying its standard 3 star flag, to inspect a forward observation post. Visits from the general were not always welcome as his presence frequently drew enemy fire, which usually happened as General Buckner was departing. Buckner had arrived with his standard bright three stars showing on his steel helmet and a nearby Marine outpost sent a signal to Buckner's position stating that they could clearly see the general's three stars on his helmet. Told of this, Buckner replaced his own helmet with an unmarked one. However, a small [6] flat trajectory[7] Japanese artillery projectile of unknown caliber (estimated 47mm[7]) struck a coral rock outcropping next to the general and fragments entered his chest. Buckner was carried by stretcher to a nearby aid station, where he died on the operating table."


This is the last photograph taken of LtGen Simon B. Buckner, Jr., USA, right, just before he was killed on 18 June, observing the 8th Marines in action on Okinawa for the first time since the regiment entered the lines in the drive to the south. Note the rock and coral outcropping to his left. The shell that exploded hit that outcropping, dispersing fragments into the general, killing him within a few minutes. The other two staff officers, were not serious hurt.

Date 18 June 1945