Blackboard Collaborate (formerly Elluminate Live!) is a web conferencing and distance
learning application created by Blackboard
that facilitates a teaching and learning environment. The program supports
two-way VoIP, multi-point video, an interactive whiteboard, phone conferencing
and desktop sharing capabilities. Each lecture is recorded and can be played
back at your convenience.
Collaborate can be accessed by visiting the class website
and selecting the Moodle / Elluminate link on the left hand side under "other information" in the sidebar. Complete instructions
on how to use the site can be located on from the initial Elluminate landingpage.
The Elluminate system will enable you to observe and participate in a class via computer, in real time.
You will need to do a little preparation before using Elluminate. To do this:
1. Download the required Java software, unless you already have it;
2. Go to the (virtual) Configuration Room; you can use just your 1st name when signing in; (Here you will set the volume levels for your microphone and speakers, and download the Elluminate Live software.) and
3. take the Online Orientation to learn how the Elluminate system works.
After completing the training in step 3 above, and about 10 minutes before class, go to the Elluminate Link for your class, which is on your course web page. Click on the link to join the class session
---Elluminate is a distance learning software which allows users to communicate both synchronously and asynchronously. Some of the features include:
- A virtual whiteboard which can be concurrently edited by multiple users.
- A real-time chatroom.
- The ability for multiple users to transmit audio using the computer's microphone.
- The ability for multiple users to transmit video using the computer's webcam.
Instructors have control which tools can be used by which users at any point in time in order to mediate traffic. Additionally, instructors can share their own desktop. Finally, they can record the entire session for later viewing by students either in class or streaming online.
In order to access Elluminate for this course, go to the class website here
Click on the link Moodle / Elluminate link
This will take you to the following page:
- Login using your CSUN credentials in the dialog box at the left bottom of the screen.
- Do not check the "Remember username" box if you are using a public computer.