Coromandel History

Home‎ > ‎


From the Coromandel newspapers, extracted at the Alexander Turnbull Library.

John Paxton Hall Coromandel News and Peninsular Gazette 6th September 1887 Manager of the Tokatea mine died from cancer of the stomach. 

Francis Kneebone. Coromandel News and Peninsular Gazette 22 November 1887On Saturday evening last, Francis Kneebone was killed instantly in the Kapanga mine through a truck descending on his head. Deceased was 44 yrs of age and leaves a wife and for children. (Inquest details omitted) 

Lieutenent Col. E. St Aubyn. The Coromandel News 21 Sept 1888 Of the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry. He took part in the native wars of New Zealand and was residing in Goulbourn, New South Wales at the time of this death. 

Mrs P. H. Blackmore The Coromandel News 26 March 1889 It is our melancholy duty to have to record the demise of another old Coromandel resident, Mrs P. H. Blackmore, 48 yrs old and a resident of 25 years. She leaves a family of six children. 

James Kearns The Coromandel News 26 March 1889 We have to chronicle the death of a very old colonist, the late Mr James Kearns. Deceased was 81 years old, formerly a solicitor and saw active service in several parts of the world. He was related by marriage to Mr F. Woollams and grandfather to Mrs French. 

Henry McGregor The Coromandel News 28 June 1889 Mr Henry McGregor was 34 years of age and died of consumption. He was an expert at his trade, ship building, was born in Coromandel and leaves a wife and 3 children. 

James Lynch The Coromandel News 8 October 1889 Master James Lynch died of typhoid fever. He was well regarded. More than 300 people attended the funeral. 

John Walsh The Coromandel Mail 9 July 1881The sudden death of a miner called John Walsh occured on Friday the 1st July just after awakening. Walsh came to the Tiki from Te Aroha some sixteen days ago. He was a carpenter by trade but had been mining for five or six years. He had no known relations in New Zealand but has three sisters in Arrarat, Victoria and had heard from them four years ago. A subscription was taken to bury him. 

Captain Casey (abridged) The Coromandel Mail 9 July 1881 Well known at Coromandel. His death occured at his residence on the North Shore at Auckland on Wednesday evening. He was 61 years of age and was known for his enterprise in local steamship matters. Born in Co. Cork but went to sea at an early age. He arrived in New Zealand about 1854 from Melbourne in the barque 'Eugene'. 

W. H. Lloyd Coromandel News 28 December 1888 Another old Coromandelite, in the person of Mr W.H. Lloyd died at an early hour this morning. Mr Lloyd was the son of Colonel William Lloyd, who was the Chairman of the Commissioners of the Great London Exhibition of 1851, and afterwards Plenipotentiary Extraordinary to the Court at Constantinople at the time of the Russian war in 1854.Mr Lloyd was born in England in 1833 and went when quite an infant to the Mauritius with his father. He was educated at Woolwich and joined the Army in 1851 going to India as an ensign in the 37th Light Infantry. He left the army in 1855 and came to New Zealand in 1859. He was on the Thames for several years in the early days of the field, and afterwards was engaged in surveying in the Waikato and Rotorua districts, being in the Government employ. About 1875, Mr Lloyd came to Coromandel and resided here continuously since then up till his death this morning. He had been ill for about fifteen months and at times was a great sufferer. During his residence in this colony he followed his profession of surveyor and engineer. Deceased leaves a wife to mourn his loss and he was universally respected by all who knew him. We believe his life was insured in the Australian Mutual Office. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon in the Church of England Cemetery at 2 o'clock. 

Richard Andrew Coromandel News & Peninsular Gazette 2 December 1887 In our last issue a short notice appeared of the death of one of the most highly respected inhabitants of the district, Captain Richard Andrew, who died in Auckland early on Monday morning aged 58yrs. The news of his decease spread a general gloom over the community. The corpse, which was brought to Coromandel by steamer on Monday, was met by a large number of people who followed it to the deceased's late residence in the Upper Township. The funeral on Tuesday was one of the largest that has ever taken place here. It is under the superintendence of Mr. Betterns. At the grave and house appropriate hymns were extensively rendered by the choristers and children of the local district school, the school having been closed as a mark of respect to his memory. General sympathy is felt for the bereaved family. A brief account of the career of deceased will we feel sure be acceptable to our readers. Capt. R Andrew was born near Redruth Cornwall in the year 1829. When two years old he had the misfortune to lose his father, who was a farmer occupying a respectable position but this mother who was left with a family of ten children, succeeded in giving all of them a good education. He became a mining engineer, and for some years, followed his profession. At the early age of twenty-two, he married, the issue of the marriage being 14 children, nine of whom survive to mourn their sad loss. Being in a delicate state of health he sought employment abroad and obtained a situation as underground mine manager of a mine in Cuba, from whence he returned in three years robust and well. He then took a farm, at the same time working at his calling, but afterwards accepted an appointment as manager of a barytes mine in Ireland, which position he held for seven years. About fourteen years ago, Capt. Andrew came to Coromandel as underground manager of the Kapanga Mine. On the stoppage of work in that mine he became landlord of the Tramway Hotel and remained so until his death. In public affairs he took a lively interest and was a member of the Driving Creek school committee for many years, during six of which he occupied the position of chairman. He was always the children's friend and the scene when his death was announced in the school was most affecting. The many testimonials held of him from his employers and others show the high opinions entertained of him wherever his lot has been cast. Always genial and kind, ready to assist any good object, striving to make peace when dissention arose, he has passed through life making few, if any, enemies, but hosts of friends. Many a day will come and go ere the memory of this good man and his 'old familiar face' will fade from the recollection of the inhabitants of Coromandel.