Decorative metal signs. Home decor design. Small room decorating ideas.
Decorative Metal Signs
- (Metal sign) The sign of the horns is a hand gesture with a variety of meanings and uses in other cultures. It is formed by extending the index and little fingers while holding the middle and ring fingers down with the thumb.
- (decoratively) in a decorative manner; "used decoratively at Christmas"
- (decorativeness) an appearance that serves to decorate and make something more attractive
- cosmetic: serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"
- Serving to make something look more attractive; ornamental
- Relating to decoration
Mae Wilson Theatre
The current Mae Wilson Theatre in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in part of the convention center, but originally was a great movie theatre. The Capitol Theatre- 217 Main St. N. Moose Jaw, SK (was 51 Main St. N. before 1914) The Capitol was designed by Calgary architect, James McTeague in 1913 as the Monarch Theatre. Due to the first World War the original Monarch Theatre was never completed. The Allen Theatre Chain took over the project and made changes to the original plans. By the time the Theatre had its grand opening on August 19, 1916 the Allen Theatre in Moose Jaw was the largest Theatre in Saskatchewan. The 910-seat Theatre operated under the Allen name until 1922 with a policy of showing films up to October 1 and then hosting road shows from Winnipeg’s Walker Theatre as well as the vaudeville circuit. The Theatre operated under the Allen name until 1922 and at that time the name was changed to the Capitol Theatre. The Capitol has most of the unique and great architectural features today as it did at the early part of the century. In 1929 the Theatre was renovated for sound and became Canada’s 21st Theatre in the Famous Players Chain to receive Movietone and Vitaphone equipment. The renovations of that period were extensive and focused on modernization including improvements to electrical and ventilation systems, new drapes and a new stage. The Theatre operated in this capacity between 1923 to 1982. By 1983 the demand for a modern Theatre had transformed the Capitol into the Capitol 3 Theatre. The Theatre was subdivided into a 652-seat triplex and operated as a triplex until its closure in August 2001. Despite the array of operators, the age of the building, and the numerous renovations to the building most of the standard interior features of the 1910 period are still present. The Capitol features quasi-classical bas-relief panels emblazoned with cherubs and the familiar crest to the Allen Theatre Chain. There is an ornate plaster ceiling, mirrored pillars and tile floors in the lobby with marble entrance stairs and panels along the stairwells to the balcony. The most striking feature of the exterior is the decorative geometric design created with varicolored brick set into three large recessed panels. From above and below, white imprinted moldings highlight the panels. The original vertical exterior sign was replaced by a traditional over-hanging movie marquee shortly after World War II. Removed at the same time was a pediment-like triangle at the centre of the parapet topped with the Allen Theatre crest. The feasibility study recommended restoring the interior to its original state and making the Capitol a place for live Theatre and acts. 1913-15 - Monarch Theatre (never finished) 1916-22 - Allen Theatre 1923-82 - Capitol Theatre 1983-2001 - Capitol 3 Theatre
Art Deco Vintage Metal Statue, Frankart or Nuart Era
This Art Deco woman from the 1930s was probably either an ashtray or a candy dish, and held a bowl between her hands, resting on the tray in her lap. With her 30s hair cut and the style of her face and base, I would guess that this is a piece by Frankart (or one of that company's competitors), but it is not signed. During the 1920s and 1930s, Frankart Inc., of New York, produced naked lady ashtrays, lamps, candy dishes, book ends, and other decorative items. Nuart Creations was a small American company producing Art Deco items for the mass market.