Home‎ > ‎3D Printed Object Gallery‎ > ‎

Trapped sphere, raft test, Galaxy Blue

posted 9 Aug 2012, 12:07 by Colin Bell   [ updated 10 Aug 2012, 10:33 ]




OK, sorry for the poor images here, I didn't realise the flash was off. Anywhoo...


This was a test of several different factors, and I was fully expecting the print to fail altogether, rather than just look sloppy. 

Firstly, I wanted to try the Faberdashery 'Galaxy Blue' 1.75mm filament, which is a gorgeous colour, and has tiny specks of silver in it. Time will tell if said tiny specks clog up the hot end, but it was too pretty to ignore!
 
Secondly, I wanted to try the Skienforge 'Raft' support plug-in - this worked, but clearly needs calibrating as it put about three times more material in than was actually required for the support. But finding this out was the point of the exercise, so nothing lost there. I had a heck of a job removing what I did bother to trim - I gave up after a while as it was virtually solid in places.

Lastly, this print was to find out if my Huxley geometry was square - seems that it is, as the cube measures consistently as per design - however, I didn't notice until halfway through the print that the Y axis belt was loose, resulting in the pillars being built staggered rather than uniform - but as dinner was ready, I let it complete just to see how the raft came out.

Overall, a bad looking success in terms of what I set out for it to achieve.







Comments