This session will focus on the development of an open source / open science model for encouraging innovation and local adaptation of ready-to-use therapeutic foods (RUTFs) used in treating severe acute malnutrition of children throughout the world. It will also examine the barriers surrounding production of RUTFs, such as the current intellectual property landscape.
1. Community-based management of severe acute malnutrition: A Joint Statement by the World Health Organization, the World Food Programme, the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition and the United Nations Children’s Fund (2007). link here
2. George L. Blackburn. “Pasteur’s Quadrant and Malnutrition,” Nature January 18, 2001; 409(18): 397-401. link here
3. Enserink M (2008) Nutrition Science: The Peanut Butter Debate. Science 322(5898): 36-38. link here.
4. UNICEF and GHTA Nutrition Articulation Project: Therapeutic Food Supply Chain Analysis:link here
5. New York Times. (2010). "The Peanut Solution". link here