Paint

Time to make it shine

My current plans are to use House of Kolor paints, a black base coat with an Oriental blue candy top coat. I want it to look black with just a hint of blue in the right light. I'm also considering ghost flames in pearl.

I shot three coats of 2K primer/surfacer, gave it a quicky block sanding to show the low spots and hit those again to bring them up quickly. At $100 a gallon there's no point in shooting the whole thing only to sand most of it off again.

This area required the most filler due to welding in the partial quarters, but it looks good after two applications of surfacer.


The trunk lid is pretty much strainght as well although I still need to detail sand the embossed "BACK IN BLACK" logo. That won't be much fun.


The worst area on the car, dent wise. was the front of the hood. Someone thought it would make a good seat at one time and caved it in about a quarter inch on each side of the center line. It took some serious effort to bring it back up. The low areas you see below are only about a sixty-fourth of an inch deep so they will fill up quickly with more prime or some finishing glaze.


The next worst place was the roof which had apparently been walked on. I hammered that into shape before doing the headliner and it cleaned up with little filler.


This is my poor man's supplied air respirator. The pump was $130 on Craig's List, the mask was from eBay for $30, and the air line and fittings came from McMaster Carr. All told it cost me about $220, a small price to pay to keep from killing myself with the urethane paints and primers. I still need to build a wheeled stand for the pump and get some more hose.


These are some of the home made sanding blocks that I like to use. The red one is just a piece of 1/4" Lexan screwed to a wooded handle in two places so it flexes. The one below it is made of wood with a large radius sanded on it. The on on the left is just a hunk of radiator hose with the sand paper glued on with contact adhesive. All of these work just as well as the expensive store bought variety, but only cost pennies to make. I like to use the 3M purple paper. It's fairly expensive but it lasts forever and doesn't plug up.

I figure I have another couple of weeks of block sanding so I should have plenty of time to shoot paint before the weather goes to hell.

So much for schedules, it's now a year later. During the block sanding process, I discovered that both doors had been pushed in at the body line around 1/2" at the center. It was so gradual that it wasn't apparent until revealed by the block sanding process. I have since re-skinned both doors and laid on another two coats of sanding sealer. I'm now in the process of continuing to block sand with 400 grit wet. With 30 days until the Dream Cruise, I have a pretty good shot at getting paint on it this year, barring any more unforeseen issues.

I am getting ready to order the paint from Kustom Shop. They seem to offer the same basic line as HOK, but at a much lower cost. Even so, the materials are still going to cost right around $700. Part of that is the pearl paint and supplies for the ghost flames, but I won't have time to do them until after the cruise.

With the block sanding finally finished and the blisters to prove it, it's time for paint. I decided to hang all of the parts to make them easier to paint. A trip to Home Depot produced enough 2 x 4's and 1 by bracing to make four makeshift racks. I also picked up a 16 x 20 foot tarp to throw over the top to keep the sun off the panels. That also kept debris to a minimum and as it turned out, a few errant rain drops.

The Kustom Shop triple deep black solid color basecoat went on nicely. It covered and flowed out well leaving a nice low luster base for the mid-coat and clear. I shot a one gallon reducer can with the black to use as a test panel for the candy mid-coat. After trying a couple different concentrations and finally ended up pouring the entire four ounce bottle of candy concentrate into a gallon of clear to get the desired effect. I applied one full wet coat of candy over everything and this is where it got interesting. About half way through, a couple of small storms moved into the area, interrupting the process and forcing me to wait for over an hour before shooting the clear. That allowed the mid-coat to cure too much and  the clear caused some wrinkling in it. Luckily, it was limited to the hood and deck lid, but those needed to be sanded out and repainted. The joys of driveway paint jobs.

I chose "electric blue" for the color of the concentrate to get a blue effect over the black. In reality, the electric blue turned out to be more of a deep purple instead. Not sure why the color shift occurred, but it is is what it is. The effect is good, with lots of change in appearance with varying light from a deep deep black at night to a subtle indigo glow in the bright sun.






Parked on Woodward for the first time at the Dream Cruise! It was nice to be able to park and walk and not worry about leaving on some side street. We walked six miles this year and saw more cars than ever. The weather was perfect and that brought out more cars than usual. There were heavy showers in the afternoon, but we were home by then.


I am in the process of buffing the paint. The hood, roof and trunk have been sanded with 1000 and 1500 grit and buffed with 3M buffing compound and polish. I've also been installing the weatherstripping and the rest of the interior in the back seat (arm rests, side panels, windlass, etc.).