Wood shutters houston - Hanging mini blinds
Wood Shutters Houston
- (shutter) a hinged blind for a window
- Close the shutters of (a window or building)
- (shutter) a mechanical device on a camera that opens and closes to control the time of a photographic exposure
- (shutter) close with shutters; "We shuttered the window to keep the house cool"
- Close (a business)
- the largest city in Texas; located in southeastern Texas near the Gulf of Mexico; site of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- United States politician and military leader who fought to gain independence for Texas from Mexico and to make it a part of the United States (1793-1863)
- Houston is the fourth-largest city in the United States of America and the largest city in the state of Texas. As of the 2009 U.S. Census estimate, the city had a population of 2.3 million within an area of .
- An inland port in Texas, linked to the Gulf of Mexico by the Houston Ship Canal; pop. 1,953,631. Since 1961, it has been a center for space research and manned space flight; it is the site of the NASA Space Center
- A golf club with a wooden or other head that is relatively broad from face to back (often with a numeral indicating the degree to which the face is angled to loft the ball)
- forest: the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area
- United States film actress (1938-1981)
- Such material when cut and used as timber or fuel
- the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
- The hard fibrous material that forms the main substance of the trunk or branches of a tree or shrub
21 West 16th Street Building
Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States Located on the north side of West 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, No. 21 West 16th Street is a distinctive Greek Revival rowhouse constructed about 1846, at a time when the Union Square area was developing as a fashionable neighborhood. As the city expanded northward in the 1840s, the area west of Union Square and north of 14th Street, then bordering on the city's northernmost urban limits, became a prosperous neighborhood of mansions and fine rowhouses. Characteristic of the Greek Revival style, this brick-fronted house, with its elegant design and proportions, is trimmed in finely detailed stone, ironwork, and wood, exemplified by the original wood door enframement with its slender Corinthian pilasters supporting an entablature and transom above and the richly ornamented iron balcony fronting the parlor-story windows. The eared and battered entrance surround, executed in stone, is a distinguishing architectural feature initially derived from Egyptian sources that was popular in Greek Revival rowhouse designs during the 1840s. This rowhouse is one of at least twelve on this block planned and probably built by speculator and businessman Edward S. Mesier, under a restrictive agreement that determined the appearance and use of the buildings in order to ensure that West 16th Street, like the surrounding neighborhood, develop as a block of fine residences.1 In the late-nineteenth century and early-twentieth century, the area changed in character from residential to one of mixed use, as commercial buildings replaced most of the older rowhouses. Remarkably intact, No. 21 West 16th Street maintains its simple elegance and serves as a significant reminder of the former residential character of the neighborhood to the west of Union Square. The Development of the Union Square Neighborhood The site of 21 West 16th Street originally laid within the original boundaries of a farm belonging to Simon Congo, a "free black man" and property owner in seventeenth-century New York. This property was later incorporated into the holdings of esteemed landowner Henry Brevoort of the Bowery, a New York civic leader. The northernmost tract of the Brevoort farm was sold to Thomas and Samuel Burling in 1799 and in 1825 the section of land now roughly bounded by Fifth and Sixth Avenues and West 16th and 17th Streets was purchased from them by John Cowman. The land remained rural into the 1830s, despite the fact that Fifth and Sixth Avenues were opened to traffic in this area a decade earlier. The development of this and the surrounding blocks was tied to New York's inexorable march northward. The fact that this area became a prime residential neighborhood was due to its proximity to Union Square. Union Place (later known as Union Square), located a little over one block to the east of 21 West 16th Street, appears on the New York City Conmissioners Map of 1807-11, which formalized the street grid of Manhattan above Houston Street. It was formed by the unplanned convergence or "union" of the Bowery Road (Fourth Avenue), and Blocmingdale Road (Broadway), and initially extended from 10th to 17th Streets, on land owned by the Manhattan Bank. In 1815, however, the state legislature reduced the size of Union Place by marking the cross-town artery of 14th Street as its southern boundary. The site was at times used as a potters' field, and as late as 1833 was covered with crude shanties. Laid out by attorney and landowner Samuel B. Ruggles, the new Union Place became an integral part of the city plan in the early 1830s to improve vehicular traffic patterns while providing the amenities of a formal park within the expanding city. After the square was cleared, graded, and paved it was formally opened to the public on July 19, 1839, and sometime thereafter became known as Union Square. The perimeter of the square was soon lined with fine residential buildings. Beginning in the 1860s, Union Square underwent a commercial transformation, first predominated by theaters, hotels and luxury retailers, and later by office and loft buildings. The Residential Development of West 16th Street As older residential districts further downtown declined or were displaced by mercantile development, the Union Square area, then bordering on the city's northernmost urban limits, acted as a magnet for new residential development in the 1840s, and soon became a prosperous neighborhood of mansions and Greek Revival rowhouses. Although Fifth and Sixth Avenues in this area were open to traffic in the 1820s, the land between them remained largely rural through the 1830s, with sporadic development in the early 1840s. John Cowman, who had acquired much of the north side of West 16th Street by 1825, died in 1832. His will provided that, after a ten year period, his property was to be divided equally between his three children, but only his son Augustus T. Cowman and his son-in-la
Quarry Master 28mm f/2.8: Found by Andy Pee after dark on a hike through Draper-Houston Meadows, Washtenaw County, MI. Thanks to Andy Pee for the suggestion to shoot at 1/60 shutter.