- To develop students' competence in the four skill areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing so that they are thoroughly prepared for the next stage of English learning as well as studying other subjects through the medium of English;
- To develop a firm foundation to facilitate the successful use of English as a means of communication , expression and enjoyment;
- To help students identify and accept their own strengths and weaknesses in language learning, and take action to address their weaknesses;
- To develop students' open-minded attitude, showing understanding and respect for different cultures, ways of life, beliefs and points of views through exposure to a wide variety of texts; and
- To help students reflect positively on their learning experiences with the aim of increasing their language proficiency (keeping a journal to express the feelings about the texts).