Your SEA Bargaining Team has begun its work with the help of Executive Board and Representative Council members. By now, several hundred SEA members have been interviewed with more interviews being conducted. Lyn Sherry, UniServ Director and SEA's Chief Negotiator, will be publishing more information to you in a Bargaining Update. Take advantage of this opportunity to exercise your rights as an association member. Your Bargaining Team wants to hear from YOU!
2018 BARGAINING TEAM MEMBERS
- Matt Alford, MP, PE
- Amanda Findley, PW, Resource Room
- Tamara Hayes, CK-8, 2nd grade
- Jackie Hubbard, Technology TOSA
- John Kotwis, SW, Science
- Lauren Paulhamus, AE, Counselor
- Matt Reiman, MP, 4th grade
- Emily Slack, SW, Engineering and STEM
- Lyn Sherry, UniServ Director
Partial Release Committee Recommendations
At the January 22 School Board meeting, Deputy Superintendent Marla Miller and several committee members presented recommendations for partial release. The recommendation was to release students early on Wednesdays during 5-day weeks. Members of the committee discussed the impact on families and the need for after school care. The district has joined with the YMCA and the Shoreline Parks and Recreation to propose several options for families both on and off campus.
The amount of time (1.5 hours or 2 hours) and the use of the time is still in question, however, members of your SEA Bargaining Team will work on your behalf to maximize the benefits to your instructional practice.
2018 Legislative Session in Olympia Continues
In June, the Washington State Legislature made changes to funding for public schools in answer to the State Supreme Court's mandate. While this may be a start, HB 2242 in no way meets the needs of our students and colleagues. Our work is not done and we will continue to lobby legislators. To that end, the Cascade UniServ, which consists of Shoreline, Northshore and Edmonds EA's, will send a team of educator lobbyists to Olympia on Wednesday, Feb 28.
Here is our WEA Unity Agenda for the 2018 legislative session:
- United for higher education employees
- Provide full and equal collective bargaining rights for community and technical college faculty
- United for K-12 classified and certificated employees
- Fix the flawed 2017 education funding plan, including raising the levy lid, improving the staff funding formula and passing a school construction budget
- United for aspiring educators
- Approve student loan forgiveness
- United for retired educators
- Restore cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) for Plan 1 retirees, increase health care subsidy for all
- United for our students
- Support the right of all students to a quality public education, regardless of family background or immigration status, including safe schools legislation and protecting financial aid for undocumented students
2017 Tax Deductible Dues
FTE Deductible Dues
.76 - 1.0 $1158.28
.51 - .75 915.64
.26 - .50 590.64
.25 or less 307.04
Each individual must contact her/his tax advisor to determine whether her/his dues is tax deductible.
If you worked multiple FTE’s, went on leave, paid sub dues, and/or were hired for less than 12 months, contact Chenoa Gray-Brewer (email@example.com) directly for your 2017 tax-deductible dues.