Intro Week 2019
Intro Week, 23-27 September 2019
This page contains all materials relating to Intro Week for incoming students in the School of Mathematics and Statistics (SoMaS) at the University of Sheffield in 2019.
The following events take place during Intro Week. Precise timings should appear on the iSheffield app (some details are given in the Monday Welcome meeting). Slides and other materials will be added to this page as the events progress. Note that dual degree students will have additional events in their dual department.
University welcome meeting - Monday.
Registration - All week - see here.
Introductory Mathematics Session - Wednesday - MAS110 intro week problems, complete by Week 1 tutorial.
Introductory Computing Session - Thursday - worksheet available here.
English Language Assessment for International Students - Friday - see here for information.
Making the most of your time in Sheffield - Friday - slides available here.
I've arrived late! What should I do?
Please do the following.
- Read the slides from the SoMaS welcome meeting;
- If you've missed the session, complete the Introductory Computing Worksheet;
- If you've missed the session, read the slides from 'Making the most of your time in Sheffield';
- Contact the School of Mathematics and Statistics Office, F-floor, Hicks Building;
- See the advice on the University's registration pages;
- See "How do I catch up with work I've missed?" below if term has already started.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I find my timetable?
Follow the section 'Timetable and Tutorial Groups' in the Introductory Computing Session. The key point is that the timetable on the iSheffield app is unreliable, and the best timetable for maths modules is found by logging in to the Tutorial Groups and Personalised Timetables page under Current Undergraduates on the School of Mathematics and Statistics webpage.
- How do I choose an unrestricted module?
First look at the university's Understanding module choice page. You should then look at the full list of possible modules. You may also find the How to add/drop page useful, especially if term has already started.
- How do I catch up with work I've missed?
Every course has information online by looking on the Module List under Current Undergraduates on the School of Mathematics and Statistics webpage. If there's a course homepage or MOLE site, look there to find out what you have missed so far. If it is unclear, contact the lecturer, preferably by talking to them at the end of one of the lectures. It is important to get up to date as quickly as you can, as otherwise it is easy to get too far behind to properly catch-up.