Mr. Stewart's Class
Welcome to Language Connections! I'm excited to work with the young people at SHPA for the 2017-2018 school year. I am honored to help them learn to become proficient with the English language in all the learning modalities. My goal is to periodically add information to this site to let you all know what's happening in our learning environment. If you feel that I am missing some things and you believe it would be a nice addition to the site, then please do not hesitate to reach out.
Resources to help prevent summer slide:
- BrainPOP ELL - Engaging learning games, animated movies, and activities.
- TumbleBooks- A collection of TumbleBooks (animated, talking picture books) with fiction, non-fiction and foreign language titles, Read-Alongs (chapter books with sentence highlighting and narration but no animation), TumbleTV which consists of pre-set playlists of a sequence of books, Tumble Puzzles & Games, and TumbleResources for teachers and students.
- Flocabulary -Flocabulary is a learning program for all grades that uses educational hip-hop music to engage students and increase achievement across the curriculum.
- Newsela is a data base of current events stories tailor-made for classroom use. Indexed by broad theme (e.g. War and Peace, Arts, Science, Health, Law, Money), stories are both student-friendly and can be accessed in different formats by reading level.
- Quizlet helps students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Quizlet provides engaging, customizable activities with contributions from people everywhere. Quizlet is very beneficial for students to practice "sight words" or "power words."