Second Languages Matter!
Best Practices Day
February 9, 2018 Fantasyland Hotel Edmonton, AB
- The largest annual gathering of second language educators in the province, with attendees coming from across the province and the country.
- A day offering practical sessions for teachers and administrators of all K-12 second language courses and programs, including ESL
- A day full of best practices shared by classroom second language teachers, administrators, university professors and second language leaders
- An opportunity to connect with and learn from colleagues and peruse the latest resources
- NEW for 2018: Collaborative conversation groups for your language program
- NEW for 2018: Drop by the Tech Café to check out virtual reality for second language classrooms
Dr. Mary Grantham O'Brien
Big Impact: Why Second Languages Matter
Mary Grantham O'Brien is a professor and graduate program director of the School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures and former director of The Languages Research Centre, University of Calgary. Dr. O'Brien is also the principal investigator and author of the Literature Review on the Impact of Second Language Learning.
Dr. Katy Arnett
Access For Success: Making Inclusion Work for Second Language Learners
Katy Arnett returns to engage teachers in a practical discussion around what we already know: Our classes have become ever more diverse and our students do not all learn a second language in the same manner or at the same rate. Katy offers strategies that work to allow all students access to second language success. Come with your questions!
Dr. Arnett will lead the session via video conference.
Dr. Mary Grantham O'Brien
Another One Bites the Dust: Language Learning Myths Busted
Second language teachers have heard them all: ‘English Language Learners need more English so let’s pull them from the second language classroom.’ ‘Time spent learning a language detracts from academic achievement in core subjects.’ ‘Not all students can learn a second language.’ Mary Grantham O’Brien reveals how the research literature debunks these and other common myths.
Caleb 'Señor' Howard
Planning for 90+% Target Language Use
Instructional time in the second language classroom is precious and the importance of maximizing target language use cannot be overstated. In this session, you’ll hear practical tips regarding what to keep in mind when designing #TL90plus units and lessons, how to introduce new vocabulary WHILE staying in the target language, and best practices for assessing students in a #TL90plus classroom
Señor Howard will lead the session via video conference.