3rd Grade Adventures
This Wednesday we will be kicking off our Operation Christmas Child efforts in all school chapel! This year, each child will be getting an OCC box to take home to pack and bring back by November 8th. In your Tuesday folder (sent home this week on Wednesday) you will find a brochure on how to pack a box along with a parent letter.
Here is our week at a glance:
- Ordering numbers through 9,999
- Reading and writing numbers through 999,999
- Place Value reviews and tests will be on the 19th and 20th.
- Moby Max *your child can access from home! https://www.mobymax.com/signin (type in Southeast Christian School. User names are the first 3 letters of the first name.first 3 letters of the last name, passwords are the student’s first name)
- Novel: The Case of the Dognapped Cat ch. 10-12
- Comprehension strategy- Story Settings and Expand Vocabulary: Using Context Clues to determine the meaning of a word
- English:Conventions and Organization
- Students will begin the writing process for an opinion essay. We will be focusing on conventions and organization.
- Spelling: List 6 Long i spelled: igh, uy, y: fright, buying, reply, skyline, mighty, apply, nearby, brighter, light, sight, buy, bright, might, frighten, cry, my, guy, supply
- The Lord’s Prayer
- James 5:16 “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”
- Ch. 2- The Constitution
- Three Branches of Government
- The Institution of Slavery in the late 1800’s
- The Preamble
- Begin to memorize the Preamble due Nov. 2nd
- Ch. 11 Astronomy
- Galaxies and constellations
- Students will create constellations with mini marshmallows and toothpicks
Character Trait of the Month: Perseverance
Questions to ask your child this week:
- What is your math SMART goal? What are you doing in school to work on it?
- What is your new AR goal for second quarter? What are you doing to reach your goal?
- Why are there 3 branches of government in America?
- Practice saying the Lord’s Prayer together as a family.
- What is a setting in a story? Tell me about the setting in your AR book.
- Tell me about the constellation you made in science.
- Our new character trait of the month is “Perseverance”. Look in the planner to brainstorm ideas you can show perseverance.
Spelling Words: List 6 Long i spelled: igh, uy, y:
fright, buying, reply, skyline, mighty, apply, nearby, brighter, light, sight, buy, bright, might, frighten, cry, my, guy, supply
Students may use Spelling City to practice words at home:
Bible Memory Verse: