3rd Grade Adventures
Parent teacher conferences are this week! We look forward to talking to you about your child’s growth.
Starting in the 4th quarter you will see a new tab under Math in Renweb. We have added a section for multiplication facts. For example, if your child has passed the 3’s, you will see a 3. If your child is still working on the 3’s, you will see a 2. If your child is behind with memorizing their facts that should have been mastered that month, you will see a 1.
Please remember that in the 3rd and 4th quarter, third grade is testing each Friday for their multiplication facts test. Students should have memorized their 2’s, 5’s, 10’s, 11’s facts and we are hoping to master 3’s and 4’s in March. Please help your children practice their fact memorization at home each night.
March 29- Parent teacher conferences
March 30- no school
April 6th- 3rd-5th Spring Musical at 6:30-7:30
April 13th- Glow Run
April 27th- ½ day
Here is our week at a glance:
- Finding area of a shape. Students will do an activity with Cheez It’s to find area and they will create their name banners to find the area and perimeter of their names.
- We will still cover long division within our small groups in math
- We have started multiplication drills focusing on 3’s and 4’s in March. Each month we will work toward a specific multiplication family. I encourage practice at home on those facts.
- Moby Max *your child can access from home! https://www.mobymax.com/signin (type in Southeast Christian School. Usernames are the first 3 letters of the first name.first 3 letters of the last name, passwords are the student’s first name)
- We have started multiplication speed drills in class. We will do the speed drills every Friday and your child should come home with their paper to show you if they are ready to move on. The students get 1 minute to complete the paper. If you see that your child did not pass, please review those facts throughout the week at home. They will not move on to the next test until it is passed. February will be the 10’s and 11’s families. March is the 3’s and 4’s.
- Reading: Intro to Poetry Unit/ Easter Poem
- Story Works: Two Miles for a Drink of Water: Vocabulary and Finding the Main Idea
- Spelling: No Spelling this week
- Easter Week: Passion Symbols
- Bible Verse:
- John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die
- Texas Gains Independence
- America Moves West
- Three New Presidents
- William Henry Harrison
- John Tyler
- James K. Polk
- Ch 1 Ecosystems
- We will discuss food chains and food webs. We will also conduct an experiment with an apple and bread to learn about mold.
- Character Trait of the Month: Courage
STEAM: no steam
Questions to ask your child this week:
- Recall some of the symbols of passion week. What do they symbolize?
- How did Jesus remove the separation between God and people?
- What happened at the Battle at the Alamo?
- Why did the American soldiers yell, “Remember the Alamo!” at the battle of San Jacinto?
- Explain why or why not you would have liked to be a pioneer moving west.
- What multiplication speed drill are you on?
- What are the steps to a long division problem? (divide, multiply, subtract, check)
- What is the area and perimeter of your name? (finished on Wednesday)
- What did you notice about the Cheez It’s activity? Did some shapes have the same area but different perimeters?
Have a great day!
Rachael Dyk and Kellie Warner
Third Grade Rubric:
4-Exceeds Standard. “I did all you asked and more, that is why I got a 4.
3-Meets Standard. “I did what you asked of me, and that is why I got a 3.
2-Approaching Standard: “There was more that I could do, that is why I got a 2.
1-Below Standard: “I did not do what should be done, that is why I got a 1.
- List 23: without, afternoon, watercolors, anybody, underground, anywhere, throughout, cannot, suitcase, downstairs, something, everyone, roadblock, herself, proofread, himself, northwest, landmark
- March 26th-29th: No Spelling Words
- Students may use Spelling City to practice words at home:
Bible Memory Verse:
- Isaiah 1:18 "“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."
- March 26th: John 11:25
'Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die."