For yourself, family or a friend
You can make a referral to Advocacy in Cornwall for yourself, on behalf of a friend or on behalf of a family member for the following types of advocacy support:
If you or your relative/friend has a particular issue for which they need support to:
- Express their views, wishes and needs
- Be listened to
- Know and understand their rights
- Ensure they can be involved in a decision that needs to be made
AND one of the following apply, please make a referral using the 'Make a Referral' button above, which will take you to our SPARTAN online referral portal.
1) If you want to make a complaint about treatment you have received in an NHS service or service paid for by the NHS. Before making an IHCA referral, we suggest you look at our self-help resources to see what the complaints process involves and what action you may be able to take without involving an advocate.
2) If you or the person being referred is detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 or subject to recall to hospital, the referral will go to an Independent Mental Health Advocate. An IMHA can help explain how the law applies to the person and how to participate in, or appeal against, the plans made for their care and treatment.
If you or a member of your family require a needs assessment or carer's assessment please contact Cornwall Council’s access centre on: 0300 1234 100 or e-mail: email@example.com
As a professional
If you are a professional working in health, care or social services, you can make a referral to Advocacy in Cornwall for the following types of advocacy support:
- Care Act Advocacy (ICAA)
- Health Complaints (IHCA)
- Hospital Advocacy (IMCA, DoLS and Care Act Advocacy at Treliske or West Cornwall Hospitals)
Local authority triage workers wishing to make Independent Care Act Advocacy (ICAA) referrals must process these via the Council's MOSAIC system and e-mail to their admin team.
Healthcare staff, however, should use the Advocacy in Cornwall referral process.
To make an online ICAA, IMHA, IMCA or IHCA referral, please click on the 'Make a Referral' button above, which will take you to our SPARTAN referral portal.
DoLS referrals have special criteria and a separate process. To contact the DoLS team, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 1234 131.