"Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much."
Don't forget to pick up a good book from the library!!
Valentine Dance this Friday the 22nd from 6-8. $5
Don't forget to look at the slides for lunch menu and other good information!!!
January Student's/Teacher of the Month
2018 DC Trip
Chromebook 101 for Parents and Students
Care & Maintenance
- All chromebooks must be carried in a school-supplied carrying bag.
- Students should not carry sharp, pointed, or heavy objects in the pocket of the carrying bag.
- Books or other heavy objects should not be stacked on top of the chromebook.
- Chromebooks should not be open while walking in the hallways, to and from school, or on the bus.
Procedures for damaged/loaner chromebooks
- Loaner chromebooks are available in the OwlsNest for damaged, lost, or forgotten chromebooks.
- If a student comes to class without a chromebook (lost, stolen, damaged, or left at home), the student will be sent to the OwlsNest for a loaner chromebook.
- Students who repeatedly have a damaged, lost, or forgotten chromebook will be referred to Mrs. Wessel for discipline.
- Loaner chromebooks will be identified by a yellow “Loaner” tag that will be displayed on the carrying bag.
- If you are aware that your child’s chromebook is lost, stolen, or damaged please contact Student Services at 812-522-5453 to inform us.
- Any damage to a chromebook that has been deemed to be the result of negligence, improper care, and/or repetitive damage, will be the responsibility of the parent to pay the repair cost.
- Seymour Middle School will send a damage report home, with an explanation of events leading up to and causing the damage to the chromebook. A bill will also be sent with the damage report.
- Parents are expected to make payment at Seymour Middle School in a timely manner.
- All students at SMS are required to have a chromebook. Parents cannot request that their child not be given a chromebook.
Seymour Middle School Attendance Policy
When a student is absent from school a parent or guardian needs to call the attendance office on the day of the absence, unless the absence was prearranged. Absences are categorized into two categories: excused and unexcused. Excused absences are absences that represent urgent reasons: sickness, impassable roads, quarantine, death in immediate family, required religious observance, or weather so inclement as to endanger the health or safety of the student. Absences are unexcused if a parent doesn't notify the school of a student absence or if the absence doesn't fall into one of the excused categories. Parentally excused absences (called in, but no doctor's slip) are limited to 10; any absences after 10 that are due to illness must have a doctor's note. New this year, unexcused tardies to school will begin accumulating into unexcused absences on the 6th tardy.
Attendance Court Procedure for Jackson County Schools
1. At three unexcused absences the school attendance officer will send a letter to the parent/guardian of the truant child.
2. At 6 unexcused absences the juvenile prosecutor will send a letter to the parent/guardian of the truant child.
3. At 8+ unexcused absences, a conference will be held at the child's school. If the parent/guardian fails to attend the conference, decline to participate in a program of informal adjustment, or if the child/parents fail to abide by the conditions of the informal adjustment program, a school official will file probable cause affidavit alleging failure to attend school, and the case will be referred to the Prosecutor's Office.