Our Material Donation Guide provides a detailed (though not 100% comprehensive) list of items SCRAP accepts
Examples of materials SCRAP accepts are:
- Art supplies (markers, paints, brushes, stamps, canvas, papers)
- Paper (leftover letterhead, trimmed edges, mat board, foam core, fancy boxes)
- Textiles (fabric, yarn, samples, leather, millends, patterns)
- Signage and promotional items (used banners, foam core, flags, products)
- Buttons, beads, wire and notions
- Natural materials (feathers, pinecones, candles, wax)
- Architectural & interior samples (NO glued or riveted sample books)
- Teaching materials (No text books – contact RecycleTextbooks.org)
- Surplus, off-cuts, defects, remnants from manufacturing
- Lab glass and plastics
HOW TO DONATE MATERIAL
Donations are accepted at SCRAP 10 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday, ONLY.
- Check the detailed list of items we accept. Because of space constraints, we cannot always accept all items. SCRAP reserves the right to refuse donations even if they have been approved unseen via the phone or email.
- Organize your materials. SCRAP cannot accept dirty or moldy materials. Our staff spends a lot of time sorting – we greatly appreciate labeled and neatly packed boxes.
- If you cannot drop off your donation, SCRAP can pick up, on a case-by-case basis, by appointment. Within ten miles of SCRAP, there no charge for this service. However, we appreciate your voluntary donation of $15 for individuals, $50 for businesses. If you are further away, there will be a nominal fee for a pickup, to cover our added costs.
- To arrange for a pick-up, please call SCRAP at 415 647-1746 between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM and speak to our staff.
- Please be sure your donation is easily accessible.
SOME ITEMS THAT SCRAP CAN NEVER ACCEPT:
- Toxic/Hazardous Materials
- Matches, firecrackers, combustibles, or any type of flammable liquids
- Materials containing lead
- Moldy fabric, moldy, mildewy yarn
- Books – except for art and craft-related
- Magazines – except for National Geographic
- Christmas decorations
- Clothes, except for theatrical or Halloween costumes
- Clothes hangers
- Fabric/tile samples stapled/glued into books
- House paint
- Jars with labels
- Large pieces of wood, especially wood moulding
- Large plastic toys
- Photo enlargers
- Sewing Machines
- Small pieces of fabric (anything under 12″ x 12″)
SCRAP is currently unable to accept:
- Binders greater than 3″ thick
- Hanging file folders
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Picture frames
Boxes full of random, tangled up, unsorted material are very labor-intensive to deal with. We simply do not have enough people on staff to handle these donations.
Most of the above items cannot be recycled and cost SCRAP money to dispose of. Please help us by respecting our list – thanks!
If we can’t take your donation we will do our best to refer to you to an organization that can. We suggest checking out RecycleWhere.org for a guide to places that take things SCRAP can not.