Welcome to the website of CANTICORUM (a Latin word which means "songs"), the new community choir of Singapore Bible College. We are composed of auditioned undergraduates, graduate students, alumni, faculty and staff of the College, as well as selected members of the Singaporean Evangelical church community. Our mission is to integrate performance with proclamation, and worship with winsome music-making through hymn festivals, psalm festivals, specially designed services for church seasons, and traditional sacred music concerts. We hold two main presentations every concert season, performing musics which range from early chant, European motets, the great choral-orchestral masterworks, English and American anthems and spirituals, contemporary congregational song, and global hymnody. We endeavour to train and sing with excellence, for the glory of God and for the edification of the worldwide body of believers.
The choir is currently led by Dr Joel Navarro, Lecturer and Professor of Music at the School of Church Music of Singapore Bible College. He is a recipient of numerous academic and performance awards, and is an internationally recognized Filipino-American conductor, music educator, composer, singer, arranger, choral clinician, writer, producer, music minister, and book editor. One of the Philippines' most esteemed choral conductors, he is a beloved mentor to tens of faithful church musicians and highly successful choral conductors who have led their own university and community choirs to top prizes in international choral competition. For more information, please click on this link.
OUR REHEARSAL VENUE:
Singapore Bible College
9-15 Adam Road
Block 1, Room #03-01
MEMBERSHIP FEES are waived as a service to the community. Members are urged to ensure their attendance for at least a year. All music score purchases are borne by each member. There is a required performance attire.
PERFORMANCE ATTIRE is as follows:
- For the LADIES, it is a prescribed black dress, made-to-order; and black shoes. Please contact SHEILA ONG for details.
- For the MEN, it is the ALL-BLACK set: black collared shirt, black coat, black pants, black socks, black shoes.
AUDITIONS will be held on the evenings of 3-5 January, 2017. Auditionees will be tested for vocal range, tone, and melodic and rhythmic accuracy. They will need to sing the melody of a pre-selected hymn. The audition process will take no more than 10 minutes. The sign-up sheet for auditions is to be found in this link.
PERFORMANCES SLATED FOR 2017:
- Friday, 13 January |7:00 - 8:30 p.m. | Worship Hall, Singapore Bible College | SELAH: A Hymn Festival, a shorter version of 24, 25 September 2016's "Psalms for Every Sigh of the Soul" to be performed for Selah: A Choral Conductor's Retreat
- Sunday, March 26 | 7:30 p.m. | Worship Hall, Singapore Bible College | AND CAN IT BE? , a Reformation Evensong featuring the music of Charles Villiers Stanford, Dan Forrest, Craig Courtney, Hal Hopson, and Humphrey Clucas.
- Thursday, August 17 | 7:30 p.m. | Worship Hall, Singapore Bible College | STILL BE OUR VISION, a Hymn Festival in celebration of Singapore Bible College's 65th anniversary, and the quincentennial of the Reformation.
HELPFUL DOCUMENTS for smoother rehearsals and performances may be found through the following links:
- PROGRAM DRAFT OF "SELAH: A HYMN FESTIVAL" FOR 13 JANUARY 2017
- PROGRAM DRAFT OF "AND CAN IT BE?" A CHORAL EVENSONG
- BACKGROUND INFORMATION OF EACH MUSIC PIECE
- SCORE MARKINGS (WARNING: NOT FOR PRINTING NOR SHARING!)
- SECTIONAL REHEARSAL INSTRUCTIONS
- DIRECTOR'S REHEARSAL COMMENTS
- CUES FOR SITTING AND STANDING
- PERFORMANCE ETIQUETTE AND INSTRUCTIONS