Exploring Music and Theatre:
Google Class Code:
This class will explore music and theatre through the world of Broadway Musicals.
Students will be introduced to:
- The history of the American Musical
- They will explore different Broadway musicals and experience, reflect and respond to the works using appropriate terminology, adjudication criteria and audience etiquette.
- What it is to be a 'Triple Threat' in theatre.
- Acting (ensemble and individual exercises and workshops to explore skills, techniques, and stage basics)
- Singing (Vocal warm-ups, proper breathing, how to read and sing a musical score)
- Dance (Workshops in different forms of theatrical movement/dance through exercises and learning choreography from Broadway Musicals)
- The process of creating a musical theatre performance piece for the stage.
- Creation with production team
- Rehearsals with the actors (Directing, Musically Directing, Choreography, Stage Managing)
- Intro to design (music, sound, lights, set design, costumes, props)
- In-class performance
100% of each student's grade will be based on the following areas:
- Performance & Participation tied to specific skills and content
- Written Work, Reflections, Self-Group Evaluations
- Presentations (individual/group)
- Projects (individual/group)
- Other demonstrations of learning
*All assignments will be posted in googleclass-please check daily! May come in the form of journals/reflections, hand-outs, extension activities, listening/viewing clips, at home practice, group collaboration and more! I will also post fun extension videos and links from time to time!
Materials Needed (daily):
- 1/2" binder or folder to keep scripts and paper materials
- 10-15 sheets of lined or white computer paper or a notebook
- Pencils w/erasers
- pair of headphones (can leave an old pair in class in a ziploc bag labeled with your name and Grade/UA)