AVS Health Office
The Health Office is open daily from 8 AM until 3:30 PM and is staffed by Jennifer Bernier, MS, RN, CNL, School Nurse.
The goal of the Health Office is to help your child be as ready as they can to be a good learner! How can you as a parent help with this? Make sure your child:
- gets adequate sleep
- is physically active on a daily basis
- eats a well balance diet
- Keep your child home if they are ill:
- have had a fever (temperature > 100 degrees) in the last 24 hours
- have been vomiting in the last 24 hours
- are too ill to learn
What services does the Health Office provide?
- General first aid and evaluation of injuries at school.
- Evaluation of illness at school.
- Consultation with parents regarding their child's health.
- Monitoring of chronic health conditions: ie diabetes, asthma, skin disease, gastrointestinal issues etc.
- Annual health screenings at certain grade levels: hearing, vision, height/weight and scoliosis. If your child fails a screening you will be notified to seek further evaluation.
- Administration of medication. To receive medication at school your child must have written permission from you. If it is a prescription medication the provider must also submit written permission. Forms for medication administration are located on on the next page. Medication must be brought to school by an adult. Please call the school nurse for more information.
- Referral to Community Agencies as needed.
- A safe place at school and emotional support. Parents and guidance counselors will be contacted as needed.
- Classroom support for teachers for individual students with medical issues.
- General health education. Grade 5 students will be taught about puberty in an age appropriate manner. Further information with a link to what they will learn will be sent to parents before the class in the spring.