As a final action for the completion of Boot Camp, students must complete the “Laptop Handoff”. This final step is designed to keep parents informed of student learnings and expectations and to assist parents in setting rules and boundaries at home. To complete the Laptop Handoff, students must complete the following.
- Discuss the Boot Camp lessons with your parents. Share the main ideas and what new things you learned.
- Go through the “Parent/Student Agreements for Home” with your parents.
- Complete the 'Laptop Handoff' assignment (which includes a picture of the student and parent going through agreements) answering a few prompts.
- Have parents submit a form that confirms students have met these requirements.
1. BootCamp lessons
- Show your parents the Boot Camp website and go through each of the homebase sessions.
- Organization [Math]
- Digital Citizenship [SS]
- Laptop Care [Science]
- Productivity [ELA]
- Information Literacy [ELA]
- Laptop Life [PE]
- Show your parents each of your Boot Camp task submissions (in your Google Classroom HB class).
- Discuss what you learned with your parents. What are the main ideas and things to remember from Boot Camp?
2. Parent/Student Agreements for Home
Having clear expectations around laptop use at home sets students and families up for a successful transition into a 1:1 Laptop Program. It is important for students to know that parents have NOT relinquished their right to set rules and boundaries for laptop use at home.
Have a discussion with your parents guided by the Home Technology Agreement. Use this form to take notes and then post in an appropriate place at home (the fridge is a good place).
3. Complete the Boot Camp assignment titled 'Laptop Handoff'
In Drive, create a new Google doc. Name it 'Laptop Handoff'.
In the doc, complete the following:
Page title: Parent / Student Agreements
- a photo of you and a parent with the completed Home Laptop Agreements form.
- Answer this question: Why do you think you are responsible enough to take your laptop home and back to school each day?
- Answer this question: How will you make sure that your laptop is charged each night? Where will you charge it? When? Explain your routine?
Open your Homebase class in Google Classroom.
Open the assignment labelled 'Boot Camp - Laptop Handoff [CWW]'.
Submit your laptop handoff document. Click the 'Add' > 'Drive' and navigate to your Drive to find your doc. Turn In!
IMPORTANT - Make sure you click 'Turn In' and then also confirm by clicking 'Turn In' again.
4. Parent Survey
Thank you for partnering with us to make the transition into our MS 1:1 Laptop Program a success. We appreciate your time and effort in supporting your child with this learning-focused program.
Please take a moment to complete this short survey to verify that your child has discussed the above topics with you.
(If you have trouble filling out the form below, click here to open it in a new window.)