English is a core subject at Sancta Maria at Junior Cycle, TY and Senior Cycle.
English is taught by Ms. Maxwell, Ms. Rice, Ms. Gill and Ms. McEvilly.
English in Junior Cycle aims to develop students’ knowledge of language and literature, to consolidate and deepen their literacy skills and make them more self-aware as learners.
It encourages all students:
• to be creative through language and to gain enjoyment and continuing personal growth from English in all its forms
• to develop control over English using it and responding to it with purpose and effect through the interconnected literacy skills of oral language, reading and writing
• to engage personally with and think critically about an increasingly broad range of spoken, written and multimodal texts
• to develop an informed appreciation of literature through personal encounters with a variety of literary texts
• to use their literacy skills to manage information needs, and find, use, synthesise, evaluate and communicate information using a variety of media
• to gain an understanding of the grammar and conventions of English and how they might be used to promote clear and effective communication.