Father Tim Gareau
Welcome to the Confirmation page at Saint Raphael. Please note that Confirmation is a two year process. On this page you will find important announcements and dates as well as Service Hour Help Needed. If you have any questions please contact Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 440-360-7778
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: All Year 1 and Year two students should be registered for the appropriate Google Classroom ASAP. The Service Hour Log and Service Hour Reflection is already posted in each Google Classroom.
Calendar of Events for Year #1
-October 1, 2018 Yellow Confirmation Registration Form along with your $110 Materials Fee for Year 1 and Year Two is due in the Parish Office attention Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
-October 8, 2018 Spirit Night #1 Growing In Grace through the Sacraments 6:30 - 7:45 p.m. in the church and school cafeteria. All students will report to the church. Students should report 6:15 - 6:25 so we can start at 6:30.
-November 12, 2018 Spirit Night #2 Our Catholic Identity & the Call to Holiness 6:30 - 7:45 p.m. in the church and lunchroom. Students will report to the church. Students should report 6:15 - 6:25 so we can start at 6:30.
-January 12, 2019 CONFIRMATION RETREAT “BECOMING a Disciple!” 12:45 - 5:30 p.m. Includes 4:30 p.m. Mass. At least one adult (your parent or sponsor) should plan on meeting you at 4:00 for the closing session of the retreat and attending Mass. A “Rite of Enrollment” will take place at this Mass, Officially Accepting you as a Candidate for Confirmation 2020.
-May 17, 2019 or before Completed Year 1 Service Hours Log, Personal Formation Reflections, and Service Reflections due on Google Classroom.
A missed event must be made up with Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
Calendar of Events for Year Two
-October 1, 2018 Green Confirmation Registration Form along with your $65 Materials Fee Due in the Parish Office attention Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
-December 1, 2018 Original Sponsor Certificate with parish seal on it is due to Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation in the Parish Office . This is only for sponsors that are NOT Saint Raphael Parishioners. If a Saint Raphael Parishioner we just need to know the person's name and we will verify their eligibility.
-February 11, 2019 Spirit Night #1 The Miracle, Mysteries and Messages of the Mass 6:30 - 7:45 p.m. in the church and lunchroom. All students will report to the church. Students should report 6:15 - 6:25 so we can start at 6:30.
-March 11, 2019 Spirit Night #2 The Signs and Symbols of Confirmation The Rite, Ritual, Signs and Symbols of the Sacrament. This will be done in Google Classroom at home by watching a video and answering questions. This assignment must be completed by Monday, March 25th at midnight and can be opened on Friday, March 8 to start the assignment.
-April 6, 2019 CONFIRMATION RETREAT “Go Make a Difference! The Gifts of the Holy Spirit” 12:45—5:30 p.m Includes 4:30 p.m. Mass. At least one adult (your parent or sponsor) should plan on meeting you at 4:15 p.m. for the closing of the retreat and attending Mass.
-April 6, 2019 or before Completed Service Hours Log, Service Reflection, Personal Formation Reflections, Saint Project and Sponsor Interview is due on Google Classroom.
-Confirmation Interviews Will take place during SRS & PSR Religion Classes between April 29 - May 6, 2019. Students will be notified of their interview Dates and times. Confirmandi who attend high school or Ruffing Montessori School will receive a private appointment at the Parish Office.
-May 15, 2019 CONFIRMATION PRACTICE in the Church: 7:00-8:30 p.m. If sponsors are in town, they should attend. If they are unavailable one parent must attend with each student.
-May 19, 2019 3:00 p.m. The Sacrament of CONFIRMATION Mass in Church. *Students & sponsors must check in by 2:15 p.m. The Confirmation Mass is expected to last at least an hour and forty five minutes. It is followed by photos with Right Reverend Abbot Gary Hoover and Father Tim. If you are planning dinner or a celebration with your sponsor after the ceremony, you will be done at Saint Raphael between 5 - 5:30 pm.
A missed event must be made up with Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
Service Hour Help Needed
1. Alpha Course Task Force Volunteers Needed
Welcomers – meet guests as they arrive in parking lot, give directions or escort to Community Room
Kitchen Helpers – serve food, clear tables, wash dishes; Setup/Teardown – put out place settings before each session, strip and clean tables and vacuum after each session
Childcare – assist adult provider with babysitting services for guests and team members
- Time: Each Session runs 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Welcomers: 5:45 pm – 6:45 pm
- Setup: 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- Kitchen Helpers: 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Teardown: 8:30 pm – 9:00 pm
- Childcare: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Dates: September 4 - November 13 (Every Tuesday) & January 29 - April 29 (Every Tuesday except for April 4 is a Thursday because the Tuesday that week is the Parish Lenten Mission)
- Help every week or whenever available; above times can be subdivided, with permission, to accommodate volunteer availability
- Contact: Dcn. Mark Cunningham at 1-440-241-0238 or via email at email@example.com
2. Trunk or Treat volunteer opportunities: October 20 Need helpers at 5:30 to help set up, and stay through the event and help clean up. The event runs from 6-8, so the helpers would be done by 8:30. During the event, we need help selling food, stocking the water coolers, helping children decorate pumpkins, running the sidewalk chalk station, and playing with kids on the playground.
Contact: Jennifer Kaczka at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help out.
3. Adopt-A-Family service opportunities (click on the website below to signup for various different opportunities) http://signup.com/go/uAvvudE
4. Pancake Breakfast with Santa service opportunities (click on the website below to signup for various different opportunities) https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0848aba929a6f58-pancake
5. West Bay Center (many volunteer opportunities Monday-Sunday) Contact Judith A.Trivett, Recreation Director at Judith.email@example.com
Parish School Of Religion Service Opportunities
We offer two main categories: Weekly Opportunities and Special Events. Please note that in many cases, we are only able to accept a limited number of students and you must sign up in advance! This list is not complete. New opportunities appear daily.
Your main contact people the following Confirmation service projects is: Miss Telepak, Pastoral Associate 440-360-7748 or firstname.lastname@example.org
(* Note: Any Sunday volunteering does not fulfill your Catholic Mass obligation! Please attend Mass at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday or an 8 a.m. or Noon Sunday Mass.)
1. Sunday Morning “Littlest Angels” Child Care
Assist in babysitting children ages 2-5 in the Library or Zwilling Room during the 10:00 a.m. Mass
- Time: 9:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. (90 minutes)
- Contact: No advance sign-up. We take the first four teens that arrive before 10 a.m.
- Suggestion: If the teen quota is already filled when you show up, consider finding Miss Telepak in the school and you can help with Preschool Religion that day!
2. Preschool Religion Teacher Aides
Assist Preschool teachers in classrooms on Sunday mornings helping with classes for 3 year-olds, 4 year-olds and Kindergarten. Duties may include assisting with crafts, helping children with Rest Room & water fountain breaks, assisting the teacher wherever needed. Consider asking your parent or Confirmation Sponsor to be a teacher and you can be their Teacher's Aide!
- Time: 9:30 – 11:00 AM (90 minutes)
- Dates: September 16 through May 19th (no holiday weekends)
- Must sign up in advance for every week, twice a month or once a month. (The least you are allowed to do is once a month, but it must be through May.)
- Contact: Miss Telepak and you will be assigned to a classroom and a teacher.
3. Religious Education – Teacher’s Aide
Assist Parish School of Religion teachers in Grades 1-5 on Monday afternoons or evenings as a Teacher’s aide. Duties would include helping with craft projects, Religion lessons, and assisting the teacher wherever needed
Time: 4:05 – 5:35 PM or 6:25-7:50 p.m. each Monday.
- Date: September 17 through May 20th, 2019
- Help every week, twice a month or once a month. (The least commitment would be once a month, and it must continue through May 2019). If you are in a PSR class, you may bring a dinner or snack and volunteer at the other time session.
- Contact: Miss Telepak
4. Religious Education Office Aide
Assist Miss Telepak with labels, mailings, the bulletin board and preparation materials for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation.
- Once a week, after school (no Wednesdays) or for one or two hours on a Saturday
- Now through May 2019. You may sign up for one month at a time.
- Contact Miss Telepak regarding your availability. You pick the day and time.
We’ll let you know if there are projects that week that we need help with.
5. Religious Education Student Buddy to a child with Special Needs
Many of our parish children with disabilities attend public schools because of the special Adaptive Services that are offered there. Then, they come to PSR for their Religion class. We serve children with Attention Deficit and Hyperactive Disorders, children on the Autism Spectrum, children with speech delays, mobility issues, Down Syndrome and many other physical and educational challenges. Many times, these children can be included in a regular classroom, but need the assistance of an aide or buddy to sit with them and help them focus on the lesson. Some children need to be read to, or can only take a test or quiz by being talked through it.
6. We have an immediate need for up to four girls to be buddies to girls with Special Needs in Grades 5 and 6 at the 4:15 p.m. session of PSR. You may sign up for every week or twice a month.
- Time: 4:15 – 5:30 p.m. or 6:30-7:45 p.m.
- Date: Mondays, September 16 through May 20th (no holidays)
- Help every week or twice a month.
- Contact: Miss Telepak to be assigned to a student that needs help.
Special Events Opportunities for Parish School of Religion
1. Unpacking Religion textbooks and supplies
- Date: - Friday, September 14, 2018 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Two students are needed.
- Contact: Miss Telepak
2. PEACE DAY
This is the First Reconciliation Retreat for the 2nd graders who are preparing to receive that Sacrament. Over 400 people attend!
o Friday, November 9th: Set-Up Help (No school this day!)
o 2-4 p.m. in the Parish Activity Center
o Limit 6 students
o Contact Miss Telepak
Saturday, November 10, 2019 Help with morning or afternoon snack, craft project and clean-up
· Choose one of the following time blocks to work: 9 a.m - Noon, Noon - 2:00 or 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
· Limit three students per each time block
· Contact Miss Telepak to sign up.
3. COME TO THE TABLE DAY
This is the First Communion Retreat for the second graders preparing for the Sacrament. Consider helping with set-up on Friday or at the retreat to serve snacks and assist with art projects & clean-up on Saturday.
- Set-up on Friday, March 29 from 7:30-8:30 p.m. - after the Fish Fry (Limit 5 students)
- Help on Saturday, March 30th. Choice of times: 9:30-Noon, Noon-2 p.m., 2-4 p.m.
(Limit 3 students each session)
- Contact Miss Telepak
4. Feast of Saint Nicholas Preschool Preparations
Prepare Saint Nicholas treat bags for our Preschool students and fill their shoes in the school hallway while they are at Christmas pageant practice!
- When: Sunday, December 2, 2018
- Where: Saint Raphael School Library
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Contact: Miss Telepak to volunteer. Limit 4 teens for this event.
5. Preschool Religion Christmas Pageant preparations and celebration!
Help with student costumes, rehearsal and set-up.
- Background scenery preparations: Saturday, December 15th 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. (2 students needed)
- Rehearsal Sundays, December 2 and 9th from 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. (2 students)
- Sunday, December 16th (Pageant day: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.) (3 students)
- Where: Meet in Good Shepherd Square
- Loading and delivering the Preschool “Adopt-a-Grandparent” gifts to Huntington Woods Nursing Home: Sunday, December 16th 11:00-11:30 a.m. (2 students plus their parents or Confirmation sponsors. 2 cars are needed!)
- Contact: Miss Telepak to volunteer.
6. Donut Sales
o Dates: - January 6 and May 26 (Benefiting PSR) Five students are needed after each of the masses: 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
o Contact: Miss Telepak