Father Tim Gareau
Welcome to the Confirmation page at Saint Raphael. Please note that Confirmation is a two year process. On this page you will find important announcements and dates as well as Service Hour Help Needed. If you have any questions please contact Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 440-360-7778
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: All Year 1 and Year two students should be registered for the appropriate Google Classroom ASAP. The Service Hour Log and Service Hour Reflection is already posted in each Google Classroom.
Calendar of Events for Year #1
-January 12, 2019 CONFIRMATION RETREAT “BECOMING a Disciple!” 12:45 - 5:30 p.m. Includes 4:30 p.m. Mass. At least one adult should meet you at 4:15 for the closing session of the retreat and attending Mass. We are not going to Mass as a group. You can sit anywhere you would like in the Church for Mass.
-May 17, 2019 or before Completed Year 1 Service Hours Log, Personal Formation Reflections, and Service Reflections due on Google Classroom.
A missed event must be made up with Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
Calendar of Events for Year Two
-February 11, 2019 Spirit Night #1 The Miracle, Mysteries and Messages of the Mass 6:30 - 7:45 p.m. in the church and lunchroom. All students will report to the church. Students should report 6:15 - 6:25 so we can start at 6:30.
-March 11, 2019 Spirit Night #2 The Signs and Symbols of Confirmation The Rite, Ritual, Signs and Symbols of the Sacrament. This will be done in Google Classroom at home by watching a video and answering questions. This assignment must be completed by Monday, March 25th at midnight and can be opened on Friday, March 8 to start the assignment.
-April 6, 2019 CONFIRMATION RETREAT “Go Make a Difference! The Gifts of the Holy Spirit” 12:45—5:30 p.m Includes 4:30 p.m. Mass. At least one adult (your parent or sponsor) should meet you at 4:15 p.m. for the closing of the retreat and attending Mass. We are not going to Mass as a group. You can sit anywhere you would like in the Church for Mass.
-April 6, 2019 or before Completed Service Hours Log, Service Reflection, Personal Formation Reflections, Saint Project and Sponsor Interview is due on Google Classroom.
-Confirmation Interviews Will take place during SRS & PSR Religion Classes between April 29 - May 6, 2019. Students will be notified of their interview Dates and times. Confirmandi who attend high school or Ruffing Montessori School will receive a private appointment at the Parish Office.
-May 15, 2019 CONFIRMATION PRACTICE in the Church: 7:00-8:30 p.m. If sponsors are in town, they should attend. If they are unavailable one parent must attend with each student.
-May 19, 2019 3:00 p.m. The Sacrament of CONFIRMATION Mass in Church. *Students & sponsors must check in by 2:15 p.m. The Confirmation Mass is expected to last at least an hour and forty five minutes. It is followed by photos with Right Reverend Abbot Gary Hoover and Father Tim. If you are planning dinner or a celebration with your sponsor after the ceremony, you will be done at Saint Raphael between 5 - 5:30 pm.
A missed event must be made up with Nick Gresko, Director of Confirmation.
Service Hour Help Needed
1. Alpha Course Task Force Volunteers Needed
Welcomers – meet guests as they arrive in parking lot, give directions or escort to Community Room
Kitchen Helpers – serve food, clear tables, wash dishes; Setup/Teardown – put out place settings before each session, strip and clean tables and vacuum after each session
Childcare – assist adult provider with babysitting services for guests and team members
Time: Each Session runs 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm Welcomers: 5:45 pm – 6:45 pm Setup: 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm Kitchen Helpers: 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Teardown: 8:30 pm – 9:00 pm Childcare: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Dates: January 29 - April 29 (Every Tuesday except for April 4 is a Thursday because the Tuesday that week is the Parish Lenten Mission)
Help every week or whenever available; above times can be subdivided, with permission, to accommodate volunteer availability
Contact: Dcn. Mark Cunningham at 1-440-241-0238 or via email at email@example.com
2. West Bay Center (many volunteer opportunities Monday-Sunday) Contact Judith A.Trivett, Recreation Director at Judith.firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish School Of Religion Service Opportunities
We offer two main categories: Weekly Opportunities and Special Events. Please note that in many cases, we are only able to accept a limited number of students and you must sign up in advance! This list is not complete. New opportunities appear daily.
Your main contact people the following Confirmation service projects is: Miss Telepak, Pastoral Associate 440-360-7748 or email@example.com
(* Note: Any Sunday volunteering does not fulfill your Catholic Mass obligation! Please attend Mass at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday or an 8 a.m. or Noon Sunday Mass.)
1. Sunday Morning “Littlest Angels” Child Care
Assist in babysitting children ages 2-5 in the Library or Zwilling Room during the 10:00 a.m. Mass
- Time: 9:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. (90 minutes)
- Contact: No advance sign-up. We take the first four teens that arrive before 10 a.m.
- Suggestion: If the teen quota is already filled when you show up, consider finding Miss Telepak in the school and you can help with Preschool Religion that day!
2. Preschool Religion Teacher Aides
Assist Preschool teachers in classrooms on Sunday mornings helping with classes for 3 year-olds, 4 year-olds and Kindergarten. Duties may include assisting with crafts, helping children with Rest Room & water fountain breaks, assisting the teacher wherever needed. Consider asking your parent or Confirmation Sponsor to be a teacher and you can be their Teacher's Aide!
- Time: 9:30 – 11:00 AM (90 minutes)
- Dates: September 16 through May 19th (no holiday weekends)
- Must sign up in advance for every week, twice a month or once a month. (The least you are allowed to do is once a month, but it must be through May.)
- Contact: Miss Telepak and you will be assigned to a classroom and a teacher.
3. Religious Education – Teacher’s Aide
Assist Parish School of Religion teachers in Grades 1-5 on Monday afternoons or evenings as a Teacher’s aide. Duties would include helping with craft projects, Religion lessons, and assisting the teacher wherever needed
Time: 4:05 – 5:35 PM or 6:25-7:50 p.m. each Monday.
- Date: September 17 through May 20th, 2019
- Help every week, twice a month or once a month. (The least commitment would be once a month, and it must continue through May 2019). If you are in a PSR class, you may bring a dinner or snack and volunteer at the other time session.
- Contact: Miss Telepak
4. Religious Education Office Aide
Assist Miss Telepak with labels, mailings, the bulletin board and preparation materials for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation.
- Once a week, after school (no Wednesdays) or for one or two hours on a Saturday
- Now through May 2019. You may sign up for one month at a time.
- Contact Miss Telepak regarding your availability. You pick the day and time.
We’ll let you know if there are projects that week that we need help with.
5. We have an immediate need for up to four girls to be buddies to girls with Special Needs in Grades 5 and 6 at the 4:15 p.m. session of PSR. You may sign up for every week or twice a month.
- Time: 4:15 – 5:30 p.m. or 6:30-7:45 p.m.
- Date: Mondays, September 16 through May 20th (no holidays)
- Help every week or twice a month.
- Contact: Miss Telepak to be assigned to a student that needs help.
Special Events Opportunities for Parish School of Religion
1. COME TO THE TABLE DAY
This is the First Communion Retreat for the second graders preparing for the Sacrament. Consider helping with set-up on Friday or at the retreat to serve snacks and assist with art projects & clean-up on Saturday.
Set-up on Friday, March 29 from 7:30-8:30 p.m. - after the Fish Fry (Limit 5 students)
Help on Saturday, March 30th. Choice of times: 9:30-Noon, Noon-2 p.m., 2-4 p.m.
(Limit 3 students each session)
Contact Miss Telepak
2. Donut Sale
Dates: - May 26 (Benefiting PSR) Five students are needed after each of the masses: 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
Contact: Miss Telepak