with Mrs. Golato
I am at St. Eugene's on Tuesday all day, and on Thursday from 11:00 until 2:15. I am at Blessed Virgin Mary School on Mondays and Thursday mornings.
The Gym schedule for the new school year is as follows. Please note the time and day for your class. Some classes have switched days as well as time.
8:45 - 9:30 Grade 4 11:15 - 12:00 Grade 2
9:30 - 10:15 Grade 1 12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
10:30 - 11:15 Grade 3 12:45 - 1:30 Kindergarten
11:15 - 12:00 Grade 6 1:30 - 2:15 Grade 7
12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 1:30 Grade 5
1:30 - 2:15 Grade 8
As part of our gym class, the students will be assessed in 5 different areas of physical ability. I will introduce the proper technique to be performed in all 5 areas in which the students will be evaluated. Their personal results will be recorded each trimester. We will continue to practice these activities each week in class. Please encourage your children to practice and maybe participate with them!
1. Curl-ups - Meant to measure abdominal strength/endurance by counting maximum number of curl-ups performed in 1 minute.
2. Shuttle Run - Measures speed and agility (similar to the suicide run)
3. Endurance Run/Walk - Measures heart/lung endurance by amount of time required to complete a distance of 1 mile.
4. Pull Ups and Right Angle Push Ups - Measures upper body strength/endurance by number of pull ups and push ups which can be completed consecutively.
5. V-Sit Reach - Designed to measure flexibility of lower back and hamstring muscles.
All students in grades K-8 will be evaluated. The children in the lower grades (K-4) will be tested in a modified program adapted for their ages. Please inform me if your child is unable to be tested for medical reasons. I must have something in writing since this will be a part of our weekly classes.
Students in grades 4-8 receive a report card grade for Physical Education. Grades are based on respect, effort and cooperation; not on athletic ability. Students are expected to treat gym as a class, not as a recess period. All students are expected to participate to the best of his/her ability.
Thank you for your continued support. This is meant to be a fun and exciting way to encourage your children to be physically active and lead fit lives. Please e-mail me if you have any questions.