I am at St. Eugene's on Tuesday all day, and on Thursday from 11:00 until 2:15. I am at Blessed Virgin Mary School on Mondays and Thursday mornings.
The Gym schedule for the new school year is as follows. Please note the time and day for your class. Some classes have switched days as well as time.
8:45 - 9:30 Grade 4 11:15 - 12:00 Grade 2
9:30 - 10:15 Grade 1 12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
10:30 - 11:15 Grade 3 12:45 - 1:30 Kindergarten
11:15 - 12:00 Grade 6 1:30 - 2:15 Grade 7
12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 1:30 Grade 5
1:30 - 2:15 Grade 8
As part of our gym class this year, the students will be assessed in 5 different areas of physical ability. We previously participated in the Presidential Challenge which is no longer active. We will refer to this assessment as "The Roaring Lions Fitness". Over the next few weeks, I will introduce all 5 areas in which the students will be evaluated. Their personal results will be recorded each trimester. We will continue to practice these aspects each week in class. Please encourage your children to practice and maybe participate with them!
1. Curl-ups - Meant to measure abdominal strength/endurance by counting maximum number of curl-ups performed in 1 minute.
2. Shuttle Run - Measures speed and agility (similar to the suicide run)
3. Endurance Run/Walk - Measures heart/lung endurance by amount of time required to complete a distance of 1 mile.
4. Pull Ups and Right Angle Push Ups - Measures upper body strength/endurance by maxiumum number of pull ups and push ups which can be completed.
5. V-Sit Reach - Designed to measure flexibility of lower back and hamstring muscles.
The numbers required are based upon each student's age. These are the same components we previously used in the Presidential Challenge.
Unless your child is unable to participate because of a medical condition, all students in grades K-8 will be evaluated. The children in the lower grades (K-4) will be tested in a modified program adapted for their ages.
Please inform me if your child is unable to be tested for medical reasons. I must have something in writing since this will be a part of our weekly classes.
Thank you for your continued support. This is meant to be a fun and exciting way to encourage your children to be physically active and lead fit lives. Please e-mail me if you have any questions.