We are continuously working to plan options that can support families to our greatest ability within the guidelines of our governor and the NM PED. We understand that families are awaiting next steps for preparing for the upcoming school and we appreciate your patience as the upcoming school year brings many new challenges. As we plan and prepare for the 2020-2021 school year we will share program opportunities as soon as possible.
The vision of the Rio Rancho Public Schools’ S.A.F.E. Program is to become a nationally recognized before and after school program that serves our community by empowering children to succeed socially and academically through quality enrichment, learning, and role modeling experiences.
The mission of the Rio Rancho Public Schools’ S.A.F.E. Program is to provide a challenging and nurturing environment that empowers each child to discover more about him/herself and to thrive academically, socially and physically through unique and engaging experiences.
HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY
In 2001-02, the district received a 21ST Century Learning Community Grant that funded after-school tutoring at three RRPS elementary schools and one middle school. It was named, "Chiles.” When the grant expired in 2004, the district leadership decided to launch Students Achieving for Excellence (aka SAFE), a before-and-after-school program at each elementary school. At the time, there were fewer elementary schools, and each SAFE Program served significantly fewer students. Today, SAFE serves students in all of the district’s elementary schools and over 1,000 students. We are proud to offer ten distinct and high-quality SAFE Programs that engage students in age-appropriate enrichment activities as well as with quality toys, board, and cooperative learning games. SAFE utilizes a variety of learning spaces and partners with several local musicians, museums, and non-profits.
- SAFE is an enrichment program for students who access our services before and/or after school at a student’s elementary school. Please note that SAFE is not daycare, and we do not offer a drop-in service.
- The SAFE enrichment program provides developmentally appropriate activities for our students, in grades kindergarten through grade five. Developmentally appropriate activities may include literacy, dance, sports, music, math club, chess, arts-and crafts, gym games, and hands-on science.
- SAFE partners with excellent vendors and non-profits to offer experiential learning (at NO extra cost to families) that builds background knowledge and a passion for learning. We have partnered with organizations such as:
□ Santa Fe Opera
□ National Museum of Atomic Science and History
□ Line dancing
□ Learner’s Chess
□ Science Girl Labs
□ Music program (K-2 students)
□ Math Club (K-1 students)
□ Wildlife Rescue
The Rio Rancho Public Schools SAFE Program believes that we are responsible for ensuring:
- every child will have a sense of belonging and is valued as an individual.
- each child is capable of achieving a high standard of personal accountability both academically and socially.
- our SAFE staff make a critical contribution to the academic, social, and physical development of each student served.
- each student is respected for his/her individual and cultural diversity.
- all children are engaged in a safe, supportive, and nurturing environment.