Second Grade News:
Elsa England Career Fair is planned for Friday, February 21st. The goal of the career fair is to enlighten our students about future possibilities in regards to college and career pathways that might be of interest to them. Please consider volunteering to visit with our students about your career. Volunteers can choose to volunteer for all five 30-minute Rotations of Career Fair, from 8:00 - 10:50 a.m., OR request the time frame you can offer. We are happy to coordinate with your schedule.We are asking Career Fair Presenters sign up & confirm their participation as soon as possible, no later than February 3, 2020. To sign up please click here or for more information contact Mrs. Elizabeth Dainton: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Parent Survey
The RRISD annual climate survey is now open for parents. Please take a few minutes to access the survey via this link. The survey is short but important as we will use the results to improve your child's school.
Learning Targets for the week February 17-21
- compose and decompose two-dimensional figures and describe the resulting figure(s).
- measure the area of rectangles using models of square units.
- compose three-dimensional figures with given attributes.
- Readers will be able to understand how a main character’s internal and external traits connect to the plot of a fable.
- Readers will be able to determine the theme of a fable using supporting evidence
- Readers will be able to use supporting evidence to infer the theme of a folktale
- Readers will be able to identify, use, and explain the meaning of antonyms in a text.
- Readers will be able to identify, use, and explain the meaning of synonyms in a text.
- Readers will be able to compare and contrast themes in two folktales.
- Readers will be able to make connections between two texts.
- Readers will be able to understand an author’s purpose for writing.
- Readers will be able to explain how illustrations support the author's purpose.
- Readers will be able to state ideas or opinions they have about a Real-World Perspectives question
- Readers will be able to clarify their ideas or opinions by restating them or asking questions about them
- Readers will be able to support their ideas or opinions with details from texts or my personal experience.
- Readers will be able to listen actively to the ideas and questions of others.
- As writers we will: write and sketch across pages, add details, edit our writing to make it more clear, and help partners make their writing more convincing.
- As writers we will study: how authors of opinion pieces revise their opinion statements and reasons, and how they end their opinion pieces.
Scientists will ...
- discuss basic needs of a plant by sharing our prior knowledge and wonderings.
- sort and describe seeds’ by naming their physical properties.
- dissect and observe lima beans that have been soaked in water and identify the major parts.
- observe how stems take water to the leaves and flower of a plant
- orally describe the function of the stem of the plant.
- practice appreciation
- 17th and 18th: No School, Student Holidays (Professional Development)
- 19th-21st: Education, Go Get It Week! Special focus on college and career!
- 21st: Career Fair 8:00 -10:30 a.m.
- 22nd: Girl Day at University of Texas (Community Event, not EEE sponsored.)
Women's History Month
School-Wide Community Service in March: Libraries of Love, Sponsored by 1st Graders!
Monetary Donations Accepted March 2nd-12th. Book Donations Accepted March 13th!
- 2nd: Cedar Valley Hosts Events for Zoned 5th Graders and Parents 5:00-6:30 pm at CeVMS
- 4th: Hey Dude, Nice Shoes! Assembly Program (Grade Levels Scheduled During The Day)Sponsored by PTA
- 4th: Hey Dude, Nice Shoes! Bully Prevention Program for Parents 6:00-7:30 p.m. Cafeteria, Sponsored by PTA
- 9th: Great Books With Grandparents!
- 10th: Author Visit 3rd-5th Grades
- 11th: 3rd Grade Sponsored Economics Fair, Proceeds From Sales Benefit Environmental Non-Profits 8:00-10:00 a.m. Cafeteria
- 11th: 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration Kicks Off! 9:00-2:00 England Library
- 13th: Libraries of Love Walk-A-Thon! Buddy Classes will Walk and Read Together and donate books for Libraries of Love.
- 16-20th: Spring Break! No School!
- 25th: England Site-Based Advisory Team Meeting 3:15-4:15 Library
- 26th: PTA Board Meeting 6:30 pm; General PTA Meeting 7:30 pm
- 27th: PTA Sponsored Family Movie Night 6:30-8:30 pm (Children must be accompanied by a parent for the entire event. No drop-offs.)