1. Walk To Read- Today we will begin our school-wide global outreach project, Walk to Read, intended to teach our children about philanthropy by raising money in support of Libraries of Love. Libraries of Love is a local non-profit, started by the former LME librarian, that promotes literacy by creating libraries in Kenya and Uganda, Africa.
Your student will bring home a donation envelope and letter explaining this project today. The fundraiser will run from today until February 1st. Our goal for the Walk to Read program is 100% participation and we would like to raise $7000, which if every student brought in $10, we could easily reach this goal! Participation includes collecting donations from friends and family and/or bringing a hardback book to donate to Libraries of Love at the Walk to Read Finale on Friday, February 1st.
Please consider talking with your child about this program and making a donation towards this worthy cause. Click here for more information on the Walk to Read program at LME.
2. Intern-Student Teacher- Our class would like to welcome Frank Garza. He is a student at UT working towards his degree in Education. Frank will be spending Tuesdays and Wednesdays with our class. We are so excited to get to know Mr. Garza and give him lots of practice :^) If you hear about a tall man in the classroom, that will be Mr. Garza.
3. Snack of the week is oranges. Yay! This one is much easier than papaya.
4. Campus Family Survey Open Now- The annual Campus Family Survey opened on Monday, January 7 and will remain open through Saturday, February 9th. The responses that you provide directly impact campus life and helps shape the school activities and programs at Laurel Mountain. The online survey is mobile-friendly and short; participants can expect it to take about five minutes to complete. The survey is available on online in five languages by clicking the drop down menu in the top right corner. Thank you for helping us continue our tradition of excellence at LME by providing information through the survey. Campus Family Survey
- Jan. 21- Martin L. King Holiday (No School)
- January 21-February 1: Walk to Read Campaign
- January 30, 6:45pm: PTA General Meeting and Science Fair and Reflections Recognition Night
- February 1, 9:00am: Walk to Read 2K
- February 7: Spring Picture Day
This week's lessons
Writing: The students will write publish and share their writing.
Phonics: The students will identify r-controlled words (er, ir, ur).
Reading: The class will identify author's purpose (inform, persuade, entertain) in their own books.
Math: The students will find the area in a shape. They will also identify 3D shapes.
Science: The students will continue our pattern of movements unit.
Social Studies: The students will begin discussing how natural hazards affect of physical environment and what changes do we need to make to prevent our environment from changing.
Our Mission Statement:
Team Dragonflies are here to learn, have fun, and make new friends. We will get there by listening, being kind, responsible and inclusive to everyone.