Each year, the Foundation awards a four-year, renewable scholarship to a graduating senior who has chosen to pursue a career in teaching.
This award of $1,000 per year is our way of showing support to young people who choose the field of education as their personal way of making a difference in the world.
Any high school senior, who meets the following eligibility criteria, is welcome to submit an application:
- A current transcript, grade-point average (GPA) and ACT or SAT score must be submitted with the application.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale to be eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants must be residents of the Rochester School District who attended all four years at Rochester High School.
- Applicants must be degree-seeking majors in the field of Education.
- Applicants must describe their involvement in activities that have prepared them to pursue a teaching career.
- Applicants must submit a written recommendation from a Rochester teacher attesting to the applicant’s preparedness for a teaching career.
A subcommittee of the REF Board reviews applications and selects finalists. Finalists may be required to participate in an interview with the subcommittee.
To be eligible for renewal of the scholarship:
- Recipients must remain in the field of education and provide proof of good standing in an education preparation program.
- Recipients must maintain a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
To access the scholarship application, click here. Or pick up a copy in the Student Services Office.