Professional Development

THIS WEEK's PD:

Apr 24: RA and Elementary will Meet Separately

RA: Next year's projects

Please fill out a document that summarizes projects for next year.

Other resources: The schedule committee's latest schedule.


Rationale for our professional development/ curriculum work: Here is a brief explanation of our thinking as we plan professional development.

1) We want to provide structured flexibility to support teachers as we learn to implement great projects and CE's in our classrooms.

2) COOL groups provide a vehicle for collaboration, feedback and support.

3) We want to document our work (Project Makerspace Website, see below) to support reflection and sharing which can help us integrate curriculum PK-12. The website then becomes a vital part of our curriculum documentation, showing our work and its impacts on student learning.

June 19 Inservice: Grand departure for bike tour.

June 14: Site time end of year wrap-up

Work time for teachers to wrap up the school year.

June 7 Site:

May 31 SME: Debrief as a Group

May 24 WES: Make CE/Project Cards

Create CE project cards using the photos, student reflections and teacher reflections you worked on for Project Makerspace.

May 17 RA: Document and Reflect

Update Project Makerspace with student and teacher reflections, photos.

May 10 SME:

May 3: Site Time

Apr 26 WES: RA and Elementary Split


Apr 19 No PD, Spring Break

Apr 12 RA and Elementary Meet Separately:

Elementary: Stay in your building. Fill in resource/budget forms

WES SEAs will have math training with Kathy McGowan at WES

Apr 5 WES: RA split / Elementary Team Time

Elementary: Joint elementary

Preschool will meet with Sam Drazen

Grades 3 - 7 math will be meeting for lesson study at WES.

SEA meeting with building Special educator

Mar 29: RA / Elementary Meet Separately

RA:

Elementary: Prepare or schedule conferences.

Mar 22: RA and Elementary Meet Separately

RA:

Elementary SME: Tentative ST Math Training

Mar 15: RA and Elementary Meet Separately

The Academy and Elementary will meet separately to work on individual needs. Please see your building administrator for more details.

RA: We will work on next year's schedule.

Elementary at WES: Emily and Emily will share their learning from Joey Hawkin's writing workshop.

Mar 8 (cancelled: snow day):

Continue to work with your partner. Don't forget to plan a time for you to be in your partner's classroom.

Mar. 5 Inservice Day at RA:

We will conduct a "round robin" workshop like the one we ran last year where we share our work in projects and CEs with each other and celebrate our successes.

Sign up here to attend the sessions that you are interested in.

Agenda for the day.

Are you willing to present your project or CE? Please sign up here.

Mar 1 Site:

Feb 22 Winter Break

Feb 15 WES:

Continue to work with your partner. Don't forget to plan a time for you to be in your partner's classroom.

SEAs will go to Hulbert.

Feb 8 RA:

Meet in the Cafe. On Jan 25th, you thought about what you wanted to work on over the next few PD sessions and who you want to work with. Over the next few weeks you will have time to work on your questions with partners of your choosing. Meet with your partner(s) and/or potential partners to build your team. Write down who is on your team and what you will be working on in this document. This document is a helping tool for people to find potential partners, and to let others know what kinds of things you are working, on to help them decide if they can collaborate with you. Find a place to work and get to work.

Below are resources that you can use to help you in your work:

HTH's "Looking at Student Work" protocol

Attributes of High-Quality Student Work

SEAs will not meet with the district this week.

Are you willing to present your project or CE during the March 5 in-service? Please sign up here if you want to present.

Feb 1 Site:

RA: -Advisory team meeting and initial presentation about a schedule to support collaboration and project/ CE work at the Academy.

SME:

(Kathy, Chris, Steve, Carmen, Rachael W., and Patsy will be doing Math Lesson Study)

WES: Team/classroom time for teachers

SEA meeting at 2:30 in the library

Preschool meeting from 3:30-4:00--Sam Drazin to attend and talk about “Changing Perspectives,” his non-profit foundation

Jan 25 SME:

2:30 - 3:40 Continue working on the Project Makerspace website .

3:40 - 4:00 Meet in your COOL group to reflect on what you will want to work on over the next few professional development days.

Those who are comfortable using Google Sites will volunteer to be available for technical support.

Project Makerspace website editing link.

Document on how to make your page.

Live Project Makerspace link (after your edits are published).

Reflection Questions and Document

Jan 18 RA:

Meet as a whole group in the cafe. Today we will each make a page on the Project Makerspace website.

Make a page on the Project Makerspace website to help us organize our work. We will use this site to document the project that you are working on, collaborate with others, and serve as a curriculum document for the future.

Those who are comfortable using Google Sites will volunteer to be available for technical support.

Project Makerspace website editing link.

Document on how to make your page.

Live Project Makerspace link (after your edits are published).

Reflection Questions and Document

Jan 11 WES (NEW!): COOL Group Project Work

Check in with your COOL group, first. Your COOL group to do one of the following:

  1. Continue giving feedback on project plans /planners.
  2. Work individually to update or keep working on your project planner based on the feedback you received from your COOL group or based on your next steps. Feel free to find your project partner for collaborative work if necessary. Note: the hope is that you have your documents in a good enough shape to start putting them into an internal website (ala the Community Expertise website) next week.
  3. Join another COOL group to help support a colleague in their work.

Jan 4: Site Time

Dec 21 SME: No Professional Development. Have a nice break.

Dec. 14 WES: COOL Group / Project work time.

Meet in your COOL group. As a group decide what your group will do. You might decide to continue tuning project planners, continue working individually, or do some combination of both.

Please add two sections to your project planner to help us with planning and budgeting:

11. Materials and Resources:

What materials, tools, and equipment do you need beyond the normal school supplies?

12. Costs

What expenses do you anticipate above and beyond your normal supplies budget?

Please send the information on Resources and Costs to Kathy who is keeping track of this information.

If you continue working on your project plan, perhaps you can incorporate the feedback you received during the project tuning protocols. If you do not have pressing work to do on your project, please consider documenting a CE from last year by making a CE / Project Card.

Minutes from COL meetings here.

Dec. 7th: Site Time

ST Math at SME for all elementary math teachers. Otherwise ask your building administrator. This time can be used for project planning or creating a CE / Project Card.

Advisory work at the Academy.

Nov 30th. RA: Project Feedback cont.

  1. Nov 30. RA: Project Feedback
  2. If you are presenting bring copies of your completed draft of your Project Planner.
  3. Meet with your COOL group. Partners can present together if you want. You can join your partners' COOL group for the day.
  4. Meet in COOL working groups and use the HTH Tuning Protocol Decide what you would like to get feedback on. For example, your dilemma could be one of the following:
    1. How can I make this more authentic?
    2. How can I assess this?
    3. What could my exhibition look like?
    4. How can I involve community expertise?
    5. What am I missing.

Nov 16. SME: Project Feedback

  1. Bring a completed draft of your Project Planner and your computer.
  2. Meet at SME as a group to review the protocol for the day. Decide with your partner who will present the project to their COOL group. Partners will present together. Join your partner's COOL group for the day.
  3. Meet in COOL working groups and use the Consultancy Protocol to get feedback on projects. Suggestions for potential dilemmas:
    1. How can I make this more authentic?
    2. How can I assess this?
    3. What could my exhibition look like?
    4. How can I involve community expertise?
    5. What am I missing.

Nov 9. WES: Project work and feedback time

  1. Meet together as a full group at Westshire for announcements.
  2. Meet with your project planning team. Work on your project, documenting your work in the Project Planner.
  3. If you need some feedback or a new set of eyes, go to the art room where Keri and Kirsten will be available for feedback.
  4. Completed draft of the Project Planner is due Thursday, Nov. 16.
  5. Project videos for inspiration and exemplars from HTH.

Nov 2. Site PD

Sample PLP website

Oct 26. RA: Work on your own projects

Blank Project Planner (go to File->Make a copy... to make a copy for you to use )

Completed Project Planner for the Project Slice

Work that Matters, a pamphlet on PBL (for you to reference when filling out the Planner)

Tuning Protocol for use Nov 9. or

Consultancy Protocol for use Nov 9.

Oct 19. SME: Staff Discussion on Facilities Use

Discussion notes shared doc.

List of groups.

Oct 12: at RA Community Expertise Assessment and Reflection

Link to the live Community Expertise website

Rubric for assessing Community Expertise web pages

Reflection questions.

Oct 9, 2017 Community Expertise Project Slice

The Live Community Expertise Website

Editing the Community Expertise website

The Google Drive folder with all documents.

List of sites

The Agenda for the day and project explanation