Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
”Be excellent to each other” April 2020
Selohaar Fechtschule is a safe and welcoming space for everyone, and all of our instructors, chapter heads, students, and other users are expected to abide by the above rules. If you see something that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or have any questions about our policies, please communicate with your instructor or Christian Tobler.
· Selohaar Fechtschule chapter heads, instructors, students, and guests will always treat each other with dignity and respect.
· Discriminatory behavior will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to discrimination based on race, gender, gender identity or presentation, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious background, and ability, as well as verbal, physical, and sexual harassment.
· Our community includes people with a range of gender identities and expressions. Students and chapter heads are expected to respect each other’s preferred personal pronouns. Deliberately using the wrong pronouns to refer to someone constitutes verbal harassment under our Code of Conduct and will be dealt with accordingly.
· You will not spar until Selohaar instructors deem you safe. There are levels of sparring for which you can qualify, to include slow, normal, tournament intensity, etc. Fighters must follow Selohaar Fechtschule sparring safety rules at all times.
o Proper safety equipment must be worn while sparring, relative to the level of resistance, force, and aggression.
o All weapons shall be tipped for safety prior to use in sparring.
o No person may participate in training or sparring while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
o Students are expected to calibrate their level of resistance, force, and aggression to their training partner and the current drill. If in doubt, ask your partner or instructor what they expect.
· Students are expected to maintain their equipment to keep it in good working order and keep it free from defects. Un-maintained equipment is unsafe equipment.
· Students are welcome to ask questions and give each other feedback (especially to help their partner calibrate correctly); however, only Selohaar Fechtschule chapter heads may provide instruction. Please limit peer coaching to exercises where it is explicitly requested.
· Anyone who engages in discriminatory or harassing behavior will be removed from class and may also lose future training privileges. This includes, but is not limited to, discrimination based on race, gender, gender identity or presentation, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious background, and ability, as well as verbal, physical, and sexual harassment.
· Disciplinary violations will first result in stopping training in class. After class, a discussion will be held to explain why the member’s actions or behavior violated Selohaar Fechtschule’s Code of Conduct, and a confirmation email will be sent to the member. Future disciplinary violations will end training at Selohaar Fechtschule chapters and clubs.