Approval of Resources & Contracts
Data Security and Confidentiality Legal Provisions
The Ridgefield Public Schools comply with legal requirements to ensure the safety and security of all students and staff while using any technology resource. Privacy Policies and Terms of Service are reviewed regularly to ensure that each resource conforms with legal requirements and local guidelines. The rubric used to evaluate the approval, approval with restrictions, or not approved status can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/rps-technology-use-rubric
- Review existing list of approvals (it is possible your request has previously been considered). Current List of Approvals: http://bit.ly/1JAWEeWrps-approval-status-2016
- Complete this Google Form for review if it is a new resource or contract.
- An IT Work Order Ticket will be created. You will receive email updates as your inquiry is reviewed and the status is determined.
List of Apps, Resources, Software, Subscriptions, and Contracts
Any staff member may request a review of a new resource or permission to use a resource currently owned, subscribed to, or free. All resources, paid and free, must be approved by the Technology Department prior to full use. Staff are asked to review the list below prior to using a resource.
Approval Status: http://bit.ly/rps-approval-status-july2015
Non Technology Based Contracts
We recommend two contracts be signed with consultants, vendors, and contractors. The first contract should be the standard agreement for services. The second contract should be the Data Security and Privacy contract. It is the Data Security and Privacy contract that will be publicly posted and shared on the district website.
- Contractor, Consultant, or Vendor is asked to produce their standard Data Privacy Contract, create a custom contract for RPS, or sign the recommended RPS Data Privacy Contract.
- School or district Administrator reviews and recommends approval of Data Privacy Contract to Director of Technology and Operations Development.
- If approved Special Education related contract will be reviewed and communicated within 3 school days.
- If non Special Education related contract will be reviewed and communicated monthly.
What needs to be reviewed and approved?
- Any resources that have student or employee data that is physically or virtually stored outside of the property or internal network of the Ridgefield Public Schools;
- Any addition to resources, any Vendor, Contractor, or Consultant;
- Any Vendor, Contractor, or Consultant with access to Student Data. This is now mandatory for compliance with legal requirements.
What constitutes Student Data?
Student Records- any non aggregated information directly related to a student that can be acquired through the use of educational software or systems.
Student Information - any personally identifiable information or material of a student's created in any media or format that is not publicly available.
Student Generated Content- any materials created by a student.
How often are Policies and Contracts reviewed and approved?
The new Connecticut Law 16-189 requires all contracts renewed or created after October 1, 2016 to follow strict provisions, including notifying parents and students affected within 5 business days after execution of the contract. The district will review and communicate approval status at the start of each month. Unique contracts that impact special education students will be reviewed for approval as needed to remain in compliance with a child's IEP.
Who is contacted and how?
Parents and students affected are notified within 5 business days and a public notification is posted to the district website. Announcement of the contract plus the contract itself are also posted on this site and linked to from the district homepage.