VFP to .Net Migration
Migration of FoxPro / Visual FoxPro (VFP) / Legacy Applications to .Net Web Applications or Client-Server Applications FoxPro / Visual FoxPro has been a very dynamic application development platform and lots of medium scale applications have been developed on it over the years. VFP has no match when it comes to medium sized data management applications. But as the database size grows, it has shown to slow down business process, especially on multi-user platforms. There is also the issue of data security. Newer technologies and platforms are a necessity in todays world and hence the need to migrate to a newer technology. There is no point-and-click wizard or third party tool that will convert exiting VFP application to .NET application.
The steps involved in the process of migration are:
- Document and Analysis of existing Visual Foxpro (VFP) system.
- Understanding the modules involved in the Visual Foxpro (VFP) system and feasibility of conversion
- Evaluate the best strategy for converting application to Client Server (C#, SQL Server ) or web based application (ASP.NET, SQL Server)
- Prepare estimate of level of effort required for each individual module
- Prepare final design document