National Principal Supervisor Academy
In highly effective school systems, principal supervisors play an essential role in improving instructional leadership across a network of schools. These findings echo external research that recommends that today’s principal supervisors need professional development that:
- builds skills to effectively coach principals to be more effective instructional leaders
- builds deep knowledge of the instructional shifts and evidence of teaching and learning required by new standards
- is aligned to and is as robust as the professional development that their principals receive
The NPSA program allows principal supervisors the unique opportunity to learn from expert principal supervisors, see excellence in action, and receive ongoing, targeted feedback on their own work as they supervise principals. The cohort will be a select group of principal supervisors from across the country who will work with each other and their principal teams to problem solve the challenges they face when implementing this work across a network of schools.
We seek principal supervisors who embody the same key mindsets we see in effective school-level leaders: belief and personal responsibility, continually improving effectiveness, and work ethic and relentless drive.
Principal Supervisors who are selected for the fellowship will enjoy:
- All benefits of NPAF participants
- Principal Supervisor sessions with Paul Bambrick-Santoyo and other expert faculty to do deep dives into observation and feedback, data driven instruction, and leading school culture across a network of schools
- The opportunity to practice and receive feedback via regular video assessment
- A network of high performing principal supervisors to help problem solve implementation challenges
When allocating space in the NPAF and NPSA cohorts, we will preference district or network teams of principal supervisors and principals who will be working together the following school year. To help guide districts and organizations in selecting principal supervisors for this new program we have created the following resources:
- A Relay participant readiness assessment (link here) - the purpose of this tool is to help you and participants self assess their current state of implementation of Relay’s instructional leadership practices and determine their interest in significantly deepening implementation of these practices during their time in the program. Only participants who are deeply aligned to these practices, and are in a position to supervise/coach principals should be considered for attendance.
- Selection process toolkit (linked here) - this toolkit provides additional resources for program partners to use to facilitate a strong selection process.
- Partner best practices summary (linked here) - this summary describes what we have seen our most successful partners do to set their teams up for success before and throughout the program.
- SY19-20 Scope & Sequence (linked here) - a high level overview of the last year's academic year.
Program Fee - the cost for the National Principal Supervisor Academy (NPSA) will be $20,000 per participant. Partners will be responsible for $18,000 per participant, with Relay providing a $2,000 scholarship per participant to cover the remaining cost.
The program fee covers:
- Hotel guest rooms during summer intensive and intersessions
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks for participants during sessions
- All course materials, licensing fees, and online access to electronic versions of handouts
Partners will be responsible for arranging and covering the cost of participant travel to and from sessions (including airfare, ground transportation, and parking).
Dates & Sites - Linked here
How to Reserve a Seat - Linked here