The "New" Global
The New Global History & Geography Regents Exam
In the 2018-2019 school year, we will expect all students to sit for the new Framework-Based Global History and Geography Regents Exam. This page provides information and resources to help you prepare your students for this change.
Timeline For The Transition
The "Transition" Exam...
- Will first be administered in June 2018 with the last administration in June 2020
- Will only contain 30 multiple choice questions instead of 50.
- Will have a Thematic Essay and DBQ as in the past.
- Be based only on Units 5-8 and the Methodologies Unit of our old NYS Global Core Curriculum - NOT Global I content from units 1-4.
- The Test Specifications Grid approximates the number of questions from each standard and unit.
The "New Framework" Exam...
- Will first be administered in June 2019 and will be the only exam administered when the transition exam phases out.
- Is formatted to include 25-30 stimulus based-multiple choice questions, 2-3 sets of three short-answer questions (with 2 documents per set), and 1 enduring issues essay (including 5 documents).
- NYSED has produced a video webinar series (below) to outline the format of the new exam and the exam creation process.
Evidence Centered Design
Part I: Multiple Choice
Part I Multiple Choice
Part II: Constructed Response Questions
Part III: Enduring Issues Essay
Part III Enduring Issues Essay
- Student Planning Page (English or Spanish): This page will be in the test booklet for students to use!
- Original Prototype Enduring Issues Essay Prompt (Updated 2017)
- Enduring Issues Chart
- Enduring Issues Nest - Human Rights
- Enduring Issues Nest - Nationalism
- Enduring Issues Nest - Boycotting (misinterpretation)
- Teacher Planning Sheet - Human Rights
- Teacher Planning Sheet - Nationalism
- Enduring Issues Nest - Blank
- Teacher Planning Sheet - Blank
- Student Essay Planning Sheet
- Significance of Issue
Other Materials & Updates
Understanding the Enduring Issues Essay Workshop
- NYS K-12 Social Studies Framework on engageNY (click HERE for 9-12 framework only)
- Creating an Enduring Issues Essay Activity Materials:
Other Useful Materials
- New Visions for Public Schools Definitions and Explanations of Terms on the Global History and Geography II Regents Exam
- Enduring Issues Posters (printable on school copiers with 11X17 paper)
- OPVL (Origins, Purpose, Values, Limitations) Guide for Using Primary Sources or Original Source Documents - Minnesota Humanities Center
- OPVL Chart - Minneapolis Public Schools