Pharmacy Technician Program
Registration will be November 27th and 28th at 8am and November 29th at 4pm. The class is filled on a first come first served basis so if all of the seats are filled on November 27th we will close registration. We are located at 6735 Magnolia Avenue. Please continue reading, there are documents you must bring to registration.
In partnership with the Riverside County Office of Education this accelerated course prepares students for the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) and entry-level pharmacy technician employment.
We are able to enroll 28 students for this program.
The class will run January 7 - May 30, 2019
Monday through Thursday 8:00am to 4:30pm
• Knowledge of laws and regulations.
• Identification of terms, abbreviations, symbols, and drugs.
• Ability to calculate, use of metric and apothecary systems, and dispense
• Record keeping techniques, clerical skills, customer service, retail skills,
insurance and billing.
• American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR training and
• Application for registration with the California State Board of Pharmacy
• High School transcript showing that the student has graduated. This must be presented at registration, no exceptions. (Non US high school graduates must have their education verified to be the equivalent of a US high school diploma by an agency listed here: http://www.naces.org/members.html)
• Students must have an educational functioning level of "Exited from Advanced ESL" or "Low Advanced Secondary Education" as determined by CASAS assessments completed during registration. (Reading 236+/Listening 228+). Strong English reading, speaking and listening skills are required to communicate effectively as a Pharmacy Technician intern.
• Current government-issued photo ID and Social Security card
• Working as a Pharmacy Technician is a physically demanding job. Potential students need to possess the physical ability to stand for long periods of time, bend, and stoop when completing internship hours at a pharmacy.
• Maintain a minimum 76% grade average and a 93% attendance rate.
• Basic keyboarding and computer skills to facilitate learning of software.
• 90-hour Internship included in program.
• Fingerprinting and background check may be required depending on the internship site.
• Students must purchase their own uniform/scrubs, and one book (Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2018 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble for $25-30). Information on how to obtain these items will be given to students after they are admitted to the program. The total cost for these items is under $100. All other costs for the program are covered by grant funding.
If you would like to purchase your own textbooks you are free to do so, only one is REQUIRED to be purchased and that is the Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2018 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition (Amazon.com search ISBN 1284142671)
The rest of the textbooks are provided for your in class use but if you would like to have your own set you can purchase them from the two vendors below. There is also information below about renting the textbooks.
- Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians: A Worktext, 3rd edition (ISBN: 978-0323430883)
Paradigm Publishing (Paradigm.emcp.com):
- Pharmacology for Technicians - Sixth Edition - Text (ISBN: 978-0-76386-776-8)
- Pharmacy Labs for Technicians Second Edition - Text (ISBN: 978-0-76385-239-9)
- Pharmacy Practice for Technicians Sixth Edition (ISBN: 978-0-76386-795-9)
You can also rent the textbooks for a semester for around $100 total from various vendors below:
- Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians: A Worktext, 3rd edition (ISBN: 978-0323430883) http://www.textbookrentals.com/prices/9780323430883-math-calculations-for-pharmacy-technicians-a-worktext-3e
- Pharmacology for Technicians - Sixth Edition - Text (ISBN: 978-0-76386-776-8) https://www.textbookrentals.com/prices/9780763867768-pharmacology-for-technicians-text-pharmacy-technician
- Pharmacy Labs for Technicians Second Edition - Text (ISBN: 978-0-76385-239-9) https://www.textbookrentals.com/prices/9780763852399-pharmacy-labs-for-technicians
- Pharmacy Practice for Technicians Sixth Edition (ISBN: 978-0-76386-795-9) https://www.textbookrentals.com/prices/9780763867959-pharmacy-practice-for-technicians-text-pharmacy-technician
Questions about the program? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Pharmacy Tech Students
Paradigm Bookshelf (Pharmacy Practice for Technicians & Pharmacology for Technicians E-Books): https://paradigm.bookshelf.emcp.com/